Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    wow. yeah if you had hit somethign hard enough to do that you would have known it. do you have any photos of this area from when the bike arrived? i'm guessing that whatever ups did that screwed up your wheel damaged the frame too. it looks like someone spiked the box with a forklift. you need to try REAL hard to put a slice like that in a tube....
    This is the new bike, I have already exchanged my last bike. This bike is 4 days old. This one is NOT UPS problem/fault. I checked the box in great detail and the only small rip looked like it was from the inside. I checked all the spokes and wheels, etc. I never flipped the bike over to check and my stand would have covered that spot, so I didn't notice.

Now I'm wishing I had kept my last bike and had Forge send me the wheel. Can I just get a good complete BIKE!!

I guess the lesson is check EVERY part/piece/component. I assumed Forge had some quality control in placeÖ.

I have contacted Mike again with pictures. I love the bike but I'm getting tired of this.

my fun has a hurting
    double post......

my fun has a hurting
    i'm sure they will get back to you asap and do whatever they can. there have been some bumps in the road with the manufacturing this year but i know they care deeply about the quality of the bikes they are selling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    i'm sure they will get back to you asap and do whatever they can. there have been some bumps in the road with the manufacturing this year but i know they care deeply about the quality of the bikes they are selling.
    Mike contacted me after he received my email with pictures. I'm going to contact Target to do another exchange.

I really like the bike and the bang for your buck can't be beat. I'm HOPING the 3rd time’s the charm especially given that the last few bikes that people have received seem to have had 0 problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Even though I totally believe you, I think next time you get the bike right out of the box, take close close pictures.

Theres always that 1% chance freak accident something COULD HAVE happened and you didn't know about it.

Looks pretty deep though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    Even though I totally believe you, I think next time you get the bike right out of the box, take close close pictures.

Theres always that 1% chance freak accident something COULD HAVE happened and you didn't know about it.

Looks pretty deep though...
    I'm totally with you. My attention went to what I had problems with last time (Rim/Spokes). The reality is the chances of me having the same problem was almost 0.

I was like "WHAT THE F* DID I DO". I feel guilty myself, but after looking and thinking about it, I would have known what hit me if I did it. That is partially why I posted it. Maybe someone knows something I could have done without me knowing. This isn’t my first bike and I have never seen/done anything like this to a bike (Chips/Scratches sure, no cracks/cuts).

I didn't hit anything, the bike is in my garage locked up, no trails, no jumps and a buddy has my dremel (The only tool I have that comes to mind that could do something like that).

If someone were to ask what happened I would say “a saw must have hit the bike” (From the look of the cut). It's not a hole, like what I assume a rock would make, it is a slice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I looked up pictures of bike frames with holes. From what I could find it's not a crack, but the cuts look a lot like a bike that someone took a grinder to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bad News

After reading what Target sent me and what the CSR said I'm deleting it as it is/was very bad wording and pretty much WRONG!

* 2nd EDIT *
    I just received a call from Mike. If you are reading this PLEASE don't think that there is anything wrong with the Forge bikes. If there was ANYTHING wrong with them I wouldn't be trying to get another one. Forge has been GREAT during all this and more supportive than I could have ever hoped for. The problem I'm having is with Target. I will be contacting Target again, to try to get them to resolve the issue.

While my second bike does have a factory defect (as far as I can tell) the first bike I received was damaged by UPS. Had UPS not damaged this bike I wouldn't even be typing this.

I'm not here to protect or hide anybody/anything. Honesty is the best policy as far as I'm concerned. I'm trying to share my experience, both good and bad. Forge has been A+ the entire time. Target had been A+ till today.
    Last edited by jleecong; 05-23-2007 at 02:13 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi, Was Target's response to mean they wouldn't ship another bike to you but they will refund your money instead ? I assume they would do one or the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good News

First let me start by saying that people need to be careful about jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. I myself have probably jumped the gun on a few things or left a few things open to interpretation, it is human nature, but we are all here to share/learn and be educated/smarter bikers.

The Good News is another replacement is on the way. According to the CSR I spoke to this afternoon, its Targets policy to consider something "a bad batch" if a person returns an item for the same reason two times. I had already explained what had happened (1st - UPS Damage, 2nd - Factory Defect) and she fixed it no problem. Problem resolved with a 5 minute phone call to a GOOD CSR.

Since I have been in contact with Mike so much recently I took a moment to talk more about the bike itself. I asked about the frame and if indeed it was a Giant/Iron Horse frame, and he assured me that it was their frame and design and manufactured by an extremely reputable company with many of the other top name brand bikes.

I should also point out that Mike is the one who contacted me this afternoon and said he had spoken with Target and ordered a bike without issue and that I shouldnít have a problem getting a replacement. I told him I would contact Target back after I got home from work. Yet again Forge went way beyond most and helped resolve my question/issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moondawg
    Hi, Was Target's response to mean they wouldn't ship another bike to you but they will refund your money instead ? I assume they would do one or the other.
    They were going to refund the money, BUT I WANT THE BIKE!!! It's solved now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Since this 1 thread has become almost it's own forum, I have asked the admins to create our own forum.
    Please post support for our own forum

Sorry to destroy/highjack your GREAT post JRSCCivic with all of my crap.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great idea jleecong. I responded.

On another note, I took my bike in to my LBS to get the rear derailleur adjusted since I wasn't 100% confident that I knew what to do, and they did it for free! I tossed the guy $5 for doing it though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dang man, I don't check this site for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose. Anyway, sorry to hear about this problem, but do you transport the bike before you go riding? It almost looks like a blade of some kind fell on the frame and bounced 2 other times (with lower intencity each time) down the frame as it fell towards the ground. Where exactly is this on the frame... I have a hard time making out the exact location. Remember that aluminum is pretty soft and anything could do this. I still think that something with an edge must have fallen on the frame. I'm not saying you did this yourself, but you might want to look around the garage and see if you have something in the area with an edge on it. Line that edge up with the cuts and see if they measure up. I'm not saying you did this (even unintentionaly) but if it was me I'd be investigating this extensively. It would bug me not to do otherwise. Anyway, I hope things go well for you in the end, I know you like the bikes and you really just want a "perfect" one. I'm the same way, but since I never seem to have good luck with things "replaced" for a "more perfect" item I've come to realize that maybe I should make the best of things as I get them. (Unless of couse they are totally botched and unacceptable.)

Anyway, on a lighter note... Mike sure does want to make sure all of Forge's clients are happy with their purchase. I received a call from him yesterday making sure everything was still good with mine. I haven't gotten a chance to call him back yet, but if he reads this, all is still well. No complaints here. Honesly, if you ask me, I've never seen any product based company care so much about their products that they go out of their way to call the customer "repeatedly" to make sure they are still happy after reporting even something as simple as my misaligned FD... and that's really not even an earth shattering problem that cannot be fixed with an adjustment. You can't even get that kind of response out of an LBS when you pay twice the price for one of their bikes.

Forge is so far #1 in my book. What's sucked is that I've not gotten a chance to ride this week yet because of work. I'm hoping to change that tomorrow and this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^

Work... Get your priorities strait!

As I said I feel guilty and have LOOKED everywhere. If I did something wrong then it should be me who "pays the piper". The bike has never left my neighborhood, no car rides, nothing. I was a LOT harder on the first bike (trails, car rides, etc.). I specifically took it easy... The marks are on the left side of the bike under the gusset. I'm going to take close ups of the new bike (top, bottom, left, right, upside down) when it comes in (5/30) as suggested above.

This is what kind of sparked my concern about the cut/crack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Man, I almost did a doubletake on that pic above. Then realized it was one of mine (lol, I was still asleep.) Anyway, could have been something that got kicked up from the wheel (since they turn forward the wheel will carry stuff up), but more then likely it was when the fork was installed. The fork tube (the part that the stem engages on) probably hit the frame as it was getting inserted (wasn't linged up with the headset area). Honesly, it could be anything, but I can tell you that from the pics you took they don't look like a crack. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it looks like Target is sending another so no biggie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I dig the silver. My blue should be any day. Stay tuned! I'm so excited. After I get my camera fixed or a new one, I will take some pics. Late, I'm off to RIDE my 5xx!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    I dig the silver. My blue should be any day. Stay tuned! I'm so excited. After I get my camera fixed or a new one, I will take some pics. Late, I'm off to RIDE my 5xx!!!

What are you doing with the 2006? And please some more pics of the blue would be great. I think both colors are nice, I was looking at the Motobecane 300 in Silver or Blue before I got the Forge. Forge made that choice easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Man, I almost did a doubletake on that pic above. Then realized it was one of mine (lol, I was still asleep.) Anyway, could have been something that got kicked up from the wheel (since they turn forward the wheel will carry stuff up), but more then likely it was when the fork was installed. The fork tube (the part that the stem engages on) probably hit the frame as it was getting inserted (wasn't linged up with the headset area). Honesly, it could be anything, but I can tell you that from the pics you took they don't look like a crack. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it looks like Target is sending another so no biggie.
    I was at work and I have like 0 pictures of the left side, so I used yours.

Good job on the fork idea! Your right though another bike is coming and it's going to be perfect. It's funny because I'm not an extremely patient person, but Target has done a good job of getting me new bikes fast. If anything it shows just how easy it is to return/exchange so I guess something good has come out of all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ^^^ Yeah, I wonder if these returned ones end up back at Forge headquarters or whatnot for investigation into the problems. Well, at least Target is understanding enough to replace them. It's good to see that they stand behind the product like Forge does. In the end though, if for some reason Target didn't want to replace this one I wouldn't put it past Mike to offer to send you a new frame to replace yours and send the banged up frame back to him. From my conversations with him he seems like the kind of guy that would go that extra mile, which is perfect for the company (Forge) because it shows that they would rather you be happy then not.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wish target had a 10% off coupon that worked right now

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redvving19
    I wish target had a 10% off coupon that worked right now
    Someone said that they called and got the coupon to work. Also if you sign up for a "REDcard" you should receive 10% off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I hate UPS and why does Target keep sticking the shipping label on the bottom of the box. The box is supposed to stay upright. Not laid on it's side or flipped over at every UPS depot. The driver HAD to flip it over to scan it and appoligized as I was pointing out the stem sticking out of the side of the box.

http://www.x2-hosting.com/Forge/3rd

Another UPS order I received a while ago.
    http://www.x2-hosting.com/stereo/ups.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    I hate UPS and why does Target keep sticking the shipping label on the bottom of the box. The box is supposed to stay upright. Not laid on it's side or flipped over at every UPS depot. The driver HAD to flip it over to scan it and appoligized as I was pointing out the stem sticking out of the side of the box.

http://www.x2-hosting.com/Forge/3rd

Another UPS order I received a while ago.
    http://www.x2-hosting.com/stereo/ups.jpg
    wow, that box looks beat

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dude, seriously, it looks like you're just getting hosed each time you swap it. I think you're at the point now where you need to speak with Mike about your issues. He definatly needs to take up the "shipping lable" issue with Target directly and also inturn have Target take up the shipping box issues with UPS. I personally would not have accepted that box if I were you. I would have told the UPS guy to blow me if he expected me to accept is silly ass "sorry about the box" statement and sign for the box. F that S!!!

I know how badly you were hoping the bike was going to be ok despite the box condition because I've been in your shoes before, but because you accepted the box now the whole thing is on you again. You're going to have a fun time with Target again. If you want my honest opinion, inform Mike of all the issues with shipping from UPS and Target's mistakes in box labeling and then take the bike out on the roughest trail possible and ride the crap out of it. Bang it up, jump it, you name it... then you won't care too much about it not being shiny and perfect. I bet you wish you would have just swapped out the front wheel on that first bike huh?

Damn the non-educated monkeys working for UPS!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    is it functionally sound? id ask for a 100 dollar discount and keep the bike, strip the components, and get a cheap aluminum frame off ebay by Leader.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Dude, seriously, it looks like you're just getting hosed each time you swap it. I think you're at the point now where you need to speak with Mike about your issues. He definatly needs to take up the "shipping lable" issue with Target directly and also inturn have Target take up the shipping box issues with UPS. I personally would not have accepted that box if I were you. I would have told the UPS guy to blow me if he expected me to accept is silly ass "sorry about the box" statement and sign for the box. F that S!!!

I know how badly you were hoping the bike was going to be ok despite the box condition because I've been in your shoes before, but because you accepted the box now the whole thing is on you again. You're going to have a fun time with Target again. If you want my honest opinion, inform Mike of all the issues with shipping from UPS and Target's mistakes in box labeling and then take the bike out on the roughest trail possible and ride the crap out of it. Bang it up, jump it, you name it... then you won't care too much about it not being shiny and perfect. I bet you wish you would have just swapped out the front wheel on that first bike huh?

Damn the non-educated monkeys working for UPS!!!!!
    I have talked to Target and Mike about the label. I thought it was a UPS policy to destroy what they were shipping..

On my call to Target I mentioned the damage and they said if it's functional and I can deal with the scratches to call them back and they will deal. They were already supposed to refund my shipping last time I called.

Currently the bike is in a shop being built/tuned. I had accepted the marks/errors and figured I would talk to Target. Before I started building the bike I gave the rear wheel a spin. The cassette had a wobble and the hub made a weird noise. I called Mike and he couldn't believe it. He told me to take it to a shop. Mike had already seen the pictures I posted above. When I dropped the bike off I asked about the cassette and they said it was "within standards". My expectations may just be to high...

The first bike has been the best IMO so far. Wish I had them just replace the wheel, but thatís in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sorry to read about all your troubles. I think this is an isolated case, but I am not suprised considering the method of selling on Target.com and shipping UPS, and it appears most agree.

I have had several conversations with Mike and also have had some issues resolved through him. So far it has been as painless as possible and Mike is excellent to work with.

A word of warning. I stripped out my front caliper mounting post. I was reading Hayes' directions and torqued the bolt to 100 in/lb, and it didn't make it..... I read through the instructions for the RockShox and found they only recommend 80 in/lbs. Needless to say I have had conversations with Mike and Rockshox, and I think we have come to an agreement. I will not post the actual details because it isn't complete yet, but I can say Mike made every effort to resolve the issue, and thats the point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    is it functionally sound? id ask for a 100 dollar discount and keep the bike, strip the components, and get a cheap aluminum frame off ebay by Leader.
    It is being inspected/built by a bike shop. If there is any real problem they should let me know. I just want to ride!

I went ahead and ordered a Leader frame from BlueSky. A buddy and I wanted to build up a bike anyway for fun/experience. I was looking at the Fantom Elite, but this seems just about the same at half the price.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    It is being inspected/built by a bike shop. If there is any real problem they should let me know.
    Just got a call from the bike shop. The bike is complete however one of the shifters was apparently damaged by UPS.

Lucky me....
    Last edited by jleecong; 06-01-2007 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    A word of warning. I stripped out my front caliper mounting post. I was reading Hayes' directions and torqued the bolt to 100 in/lb, and it didn't make it..... I read through the instructions for the RockShox and found they only recommend 80 in/lbs. Needless to say I have had conversations with Mike and Rockshox, and I think we have come to an agreement. I will not post the actual details because it isn't complete yet, but I can say Mike made every effort to resolve the issue, and thats the point.
    I've had a talk with Mike on a similar subject (I didn't strip anything out), but we agreed that we both use our own judgement of what tight really should be. I don't belive in torque values when building things, unless it's an engine. Usually, your hand will know if it's tight enough. Use your judgement, not a gauge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've had a talk with Mike on a similar subject (I didn't strip anything out), but we agreed that we both use our own judgement of what tight really should be. I don't belive in torque values when building things, unless it's an engine. Usually, your hand will know if it's tight enough. Use your judgement, not a gauge.
    I normally would agree, but in this case I am not confident with my hands on this bike..... if it was a set of calipers on a Ford Super Duty (for example) I could do it by hand without thought.

If it happens again, I will helicoil both posts and call it good.... for good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ^^^ You're making this harder then it has to be. Tight is tight. It's not going to fall appart on you. If something is not tight enough, the screw or bolt will work it's way loose as you use the item. A simple check for snugness after a ride or two will tell you which bolt needed to be tighter then you originaly thought. If you can work on a car and not fug things up you can work on this bike. Also, torque specs (if you're going to go that route) for parts need to be checked to make sure that they match for both the male and female counterparts. If they are not the same then you need to go with the lower of the values obviously, which is what you found out the hard way. Trust me, even I've snapped off a few headbolts in my time by using torque specs and I've learned that sometimes "feel" works better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well I've decide to handle things my way instead of trying to do it everyone else’s way. I have placed a new order for a 5xx. Mike was more than willing to send me parts to fix what I have, but it's not Forges problem UPS can't deliver an undamaged package and if anything I've been trying to provide feedback for the company to make the buying experience better for others. Not get them to fix UPS issues. This is such an awsome bike why can't UPS get it here in 1 piece!

Target has been very good about most of this as well. I had to place another order because of the "no multi replacement" rule, but the CSR was very understanding. I'm happy as I'm sure I will get a complete/working bike out of this deal. I will say that it hasn’t been that bad as I have had “a bike” this entire time.

Here’s a pic of the shifter UPS damaged. Whatever made the mark bent the shifter leaver causing it to get stuck whenever you shift.

It's funny cause I have always been told i was unique!
    Last edited by jleecong; 06-01-2007 at 07:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    I'm so excited. After I get my camera fixed or a new one, I will take some pics. Late, I'm off to RIDE my 5xx!!!
    What's up with the new one? I want to seem some pictures

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    Sorry to read about all your troubles. I think this is an isolated case, but I am not suprised considering the method of selling on Target.com and shipping UPS, and it appears most agree.

I have had several conversations with Mike and also have had some issues resolved through him. So far it has been as painless as possible and Mike is excellent to work with.
    I STRONGLY agree about being an isolated case. I have had issues with UPS damaging things in the past. Just seems to be something with my area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Also, torque specs (if you're going to go that route) for parts need to be checked to make sure that they match for both the male and female counterparts. If they are not the same then you need to go with the lower of the values obviously, which is what you found out the hard way.
    True, using Rockshox's spec of 80 in/lbs might not have pulled the thread.

I followed the spec to make sure it was assembled correctly, which should have been the best method to tighten it. I should not have to resort to going by 'feel'. Normally 'feel' strips the bolts, and torque specs does the job correctly.

In this case the torque was simply wrong for the part, and I had no basis to question it at the time.

Yes, leason learned.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Im glad you were taken care of, the three things stopping me from purchasing this bike are/were

1. Shipping the bike in good condition, and if damaged target refund the entire amount including shipping
    2. hoping Target would a have a 10% coupon
    3. Ibex bike being only $90 more

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Im glad you were taken care of, the three things stopping me from purchasing this bike are/were

1. Shipping the bike in good condition, and if damaged target refund the entire amount including shipping
    2. hoping Target would a have a 10% coupon
    3. Ibex bike being only $90 more
    Understandable, but please remember I'm the ONLY ONE to have any problems like this and I have had issues with UPS damaging items in the past.

1. Target from my experience would have refunded the entire amount.
    2. The Forge is a good value for $320
    3. I like the Ibex bikes, but I couldn't justify $200 more (Ibex 550) for a small gain in fork and slightly reduced weight, while losing the shifter/chain/cassette/brake advantage the Forge has.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    jleecong last statement..
    weight reduction is because of more quality cockpit components, the ibex's air fork is a big upgrade..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    weight reduction is because of more quality cockpit components, the ibex's air fork is a big upgrade..
    I was looking at the alpine 450 (sold out until september/october) which is $435 shipped vs. $350 shipped for the Forge.

a difference of $85

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    More quality... UNO yea I think I played that game once. I ran a search and found the seat post for 9.98 (Weight: 333g).

Seriously I was NOT trying to compare part by part. They are "entry level" parts in the general term. Some going to Ibex and some going to Forge. I ran a search a while ago on the fork and it got less than 3 out of 5, everyone was "upgrading" to something else. As I said I couldn't justify the extra $200 for the Ibex. That’s just me...

I guess I would rather get the Forge and buy a good/light shock and be almost at the same weight. Again this is totally up to an individual. I like the Ibex bikes and they sell like hotcakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was looking at the alpine 450 (sold out until september/october) which is $435 shipped vs. $350 shipped for the Forge.

a difference of $85
    The Sawback 5xx kills the Alpine 450 in my opinion on almost all levels. It has a named cockpit though.. Kalloy (I believe the makers of UNO on the 550)

Anyway whatever you get I'm sure you will be happy with it. There is a lot of other stuff out there besides Forge and Ibex also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey, look at the cool part here. If you can put one bike together out of 2 and have enough left over to put on another frame you will have 2 bikes with awesome drivetrain for the price. Take a friend riding...

Oh and you're right.... All your problems are UPS delivery issues!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Great Bikes - Forge Bikes

I own three Forge bikes, SPEC to price you can't beat it! Great Bikes!!
    On that note, itís Saturday morning and Iím off to ride my Forge Sawback.

Raider of the Lost Creek
    I have been following this thread with some interest from it's inception. I have a younger brother who was here in South Carolina visiting for a week. We spent some time riding the local trails and he expressed an interest in picking up a bike of his own when he returned home to New Jersey that he would also take back to school with him in the fall.

Based on the price and specs of the Forge bicycles, I have been intrigued by the process of buying a bike from Target online, sight unseen. My fiance used to ride an el-cheapo Target Magna before upgrading to a Giant Rincon. So needless to say I would be nervous from the start. However, these Forge bikes seem to be a viable option.

Other than assembly issues, paint issues, and the consistent damage due to UPS shipping, there has been very little actual report on how the bike performs and handles daily/weekly use. Several people have said "I've ridden it around the neighborhood." However, I'd like to hear how the bike actually performs on trails.

What trails have you taken the bike out on, and what type of riding do you do? What types of tune ups has the bike needed thus far (routine or something more)? Is there any aspect of its performance that you were surprised by (good or bad)? I guess these are just a few of the things I'd like to hear about before suggesting this bike as an option to someone. Any other thoughts or ideas about the bike now that you've spent some time with it would be great as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Switch
    "Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've taken mine offroad, but not on "official trails" because I don't know where there are some where I live. I've jumped mine a lot and have taken on highspeed street use with jumps and then offroad on some back pathways near the woods. I don't really have anything to compare it with, but I will say that if you're on rough ground you will feel it unless you ride standing, but everyone should know that hardtails are not forgiving in that aspect. I haven't done any maintenance on my bike since I bought it a month or so ago. I've adjusted some of the components on it to better meet my needs, but that's normal with any bike.

I will say this... I sat on a 18" Rincon at my LBS and handled it a little. I can tell you without a doubt that the Rincon is heavier feeling then my 17" Forge. And no, I'm not biased. I actually got tired of waiting for Forge to restock Target with the 07 units and was about 48 hours away from pulling a trigger on a Giant at my LBS instead. Only difference was that I was going to get a Rainier because I wanted the same drivetrain that was on the Forge. It's funny because I was shopping for a more expensive bike ($675) only to match the level of a $300 bike. Anyway, in the end I'm happy I waited and got my Forge. So far I haven't had any problems with it aside from the FD adjustment I had to make, but once that was done EVERYTHING is perfect. I had no defects from the factory or because of UPS shipping damages.

Honesly, if you see damage to the box, just don't sign to accept it from UPS. Refuse the delivery due to damage and you won't have to go through what jleecong went through. It will go back to Target and they will reship another without you having to dick with things. The major benefit (in my case anyway) for getting a bike from my LBS would have been if I took it back for maintenance and adjustments to them they would have been free. In the end, I'm comfortable doing my own work on the bike and that's fine because my LBS (the Giant dealer one) is ALWAYS backlogged on work, so I would have been fugged on maintenance because I expected to be able to take my bike in and pick it up the same day. That would not have been the case here, but it's funny how they didn't mention that when I was seriously wanting to buy the Giant. Don't get me wrong, they are good guys and I've bought other things form them, but I don't put up with "waiting lists". That was the major reason why I even broke down and did my own FD adjustment on my Forge. I just couldn't wait on those guys.

Good luck either way you go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback XC
    I have been following this thread with some interest from it's inception. I have a younger brother who was here in South Carolina visiting for a week. We spent some time riding the local trails and he expressed an interest in picking up a bike of his own when he returned home to New Jersey that he would also take back to school with him in the fall.

Based on the price and specs of the Forge bicycles, I have been intrigued by the process of buying a bike from Target online, sight unseen. My fiance used to ride an el-cheapo Target Magna before upgrading to a Giant Rincon. So needless to say I would be nervous from the start. However, these Forge bikes seem to be a viable option.

Other than assembly issues, paint issues, and the consistent damage due to UPS shipping, there has been very little actual report on how the bike performs and handles daily/weekly use. Several people have said "I've ridden it around the neighborhood." However, I'd like to hear how the bike actually performs on trails.

What trails have you taken the bike out on, and what type of riding do you do? What types of tune ups has the bike needed thus far (routine or something more)? Is there any aspect of its performance that you were surprised by (good or bad)? I guess these are just a few of the things I'd like to hear about before suggesting this bike as an option to someone. Any other thoughts or ideas about the bike now that you've spent some time with it would be great as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Switch
    What assembly issues? Any bike will need adjustments.

The paint… I think its clear most are not having any problems or notice them. I have above average eyesight and I’m a detailed oriented person. I usually find imperfections in anything. Using macro is a great thing but these marks are not really noticeable IMO. (Check attached image) The bike was inspected by a bike shop and they said the nick was no problem, and nothing to worry about.

I won’t talk for others about riding, but my first bike I road hard. It was taken on one of our local “state owned” trails. Here is the post from that trip. Here is the MTBR review for the trail.

Please remember IF you have ANY problems the bike can be returned no questions asked to Target (From my experience).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    To go into more detail about the bike I will say it's great. The first bike I had was awesome minus the bent spoke UPS gave me, but even then the bike performed great! The trail had a few jumps (1ft or so) and drops (2ft or so) and I rode "offrode" in other locations. Because my girl like to ride the road I spend a lot of time doing that as well. I had the bike up to 25mph onroad and it was smooth as silk. The tires are loud onroad as they are deigned for dirt but they work fine.

I think everyone in this thread would tell you to get a Forge. The bike is great, and so is the support/service.

My only advice... Do you have problems with UPS in your area? JRSCCivic98 says don't accept the package if there is any damage, but that would mean I couldn't accept anything from UPS (well maybe 10% of things). Even my employer switched to DHL for shipping large items because of shipping problems with UPS. Just 2 weeks ago we had a $20k SAN Disk array come in from EMC that UPS had managed to "snap" the pallet in half inside the box. This is what brown does for me.

I was going to buy an Ironhorse for $550 that had cheaper components than the forge at $300!!! I'm glad I found this thread. Anyways how do the bikes fit? I'm 6' 2'' 180lbs Should I go for the 17'' or the 19''?

** I think mtbr is being slow..

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast