Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Are you a girl? TAKE PICS TAKE PICS! J/K You're pretty light to be a guy.

Anyway, you do know that you can adjust the preload on the front fork right? There's a turn knob on top of the left shock that turn clockwise to tighten or counterclockwise to loosen. I had to tighten my preload up because if you leave the fork where it is when it ships it's way too soft. I've taken several bunnyhops and jumps and now my fork only compresses about 2/3 of it's full travel at the most. I also don't have it on full stiff either. I'm about 151lbs so there's no way you're compressing more then me if you've tightened it up some. Anyway, give that a try and see how it works.

Also, for everyone... someone take a look at your box if you still have it and post the address for Forge Bikes. It's on there, I think it's Ft. Wayne, PA or something like that. I forgot to write it down before I threw out my box.
    Yea Yea... My lifetime high is a whopping 127. I've been about 120 ever since I was 15-16, I'm 27 now (I kick butt in pull up contests). The child is a high school budies that just had a grand parent pass away. They are down state and didn't want to bring the young one.

I have adjusted the fork, it was just an example if how "soft" it is. Being as light as I am I usually have trouble with items aimed at men that relate to weight in some way (I'm not average).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dude drink protein milk shakes and mountain bike alot that will get your weight up. That's cool, you will build strength, go for it. Better to be 127 than really heavy. davis, when you buy the blue Forge Sawback 5xx, please post pictures ASAP, I'm about to order one, I hope they don't sellout again, these bikes will probably move quick. Anyone own the Forge 7xx? Late.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I will be sure to do that. I just got the email confirming that it has been shipped this morning so I should be getting in within the next few days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This 19" looks like a great bike for me I,m 6 ft and 210 and really do my riding 1 hour at a time at vmax for fitness purposes.

It looks really similar to the Iron horse 1.3 I saw at ***** today,is this this a better bike?

Oh and welcome, I have been a lurker for a few months,this is my first post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is def. spec'd a lot better.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^^ Alright.

I have a $99 dollar Target cheapie now so anything is a improvement lol.

What makes it better? I,m a newb

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    Any of you ridden it off road! I'm ordering the matte blue 5xx real soon, I'm so excited! How's the Dart ride for you? Please give me details.... Did you also apply the 10% discount? I googled Target coupons in the past and applied. What did you use? Let me know asap, before I order, thanks!! Going biking, very early morning here, late!
    I did today... a mix of rough hard packed dirt singletrack, mud, sand, down trees, and grass.... It was almost flawless except a missed shift on the front derailer popped the chain and gouged my paint! Luckily I wasn't haulin when it happened! I attribute it to the mud that had been kicked up and had really made a mess... I didn't realize till it was already pretty built up how much mud I had rode through, which probably wasn't too good for the bike

I can't complain about the bike, it was an enjoyable ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any of you ridden it off road! I'm ordering the matte blue 5xx real soon, I'm so excited! How's the Dart ride for you? Please give me details.... Did you also apply the 10% discount? I googled Target coupons in the past and applied. What did you use? Let me know asap, before I order, thanks!! Going biking, very early morning here, late!
    Well I went "off road" for the first time yesterday. The only mistake I made was to read the trail review AFTER I road the trail. Total trip according to my puter was 3 miles.

Bottom line the bike road/worked GREAT! Shifted easy going up or down, brakes were great, no spills, and as I road the bike it seemed very light and comfy. I have nothing to compare it to but I can't wait to go again.

The only downside to the Forge is shop support. Before I left I checked everything and my front tire has a wobble in it, and on the front derailer going from 1 to 2 I sometimes have to work it into 2. Not a simple click. I'm sure it's just an adjustment, but had I gotten it locally... (add in your own + or -).

This was also my girls first trip off road and again read trail reviews BEFORE you go. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be but she handled it like a champ. She walked a number of harder areas (Both up and down), and her NEXT didn't have any major issues besides the rear derailer being a pain, and the kickstand (that she loves) almost coming off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Did anyone buy the blue model? If so please post pictures,,, Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Did anyone buy the blue model? If so please post pictures,,, Thanks.
    I have one... I have been meaning to get pics. I'll try to get them up soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    OK, I know this is the wrong forum for drivetrain questions, but it's my thread and I know you guys will already know what bike and drivetrain I'm talking in reference to so, here goes. Should there be any interference from the front derailer on the chain when I'm at the extreme ends of the rear casette? By this I mean, if I'm on the biggest ring in the front and go to the biggest ring in the back it rubs a little and if I'm on the smallest ring up front and smallest in the back it rubs again. Seems to me that the bike should be able to go into each and every gear with no interference whatsoever. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is there really a limit as to what gears you can use up front in relation to the back? If there is, that's silly because then you can't really call it a 27 speed drivetrain then. Anyway, is this normal or should I consider the drivetrain "out of tune" and take it into the LBS to get it adjusted. BTW, this was the case with it since "day one". Shouldn't it have come preadjusted properly? If it does needs LBS adjustment, should Forge fit the bill for it this one time?

mtbr member
    By this I mean, if I'm on the biggest ring in the front and go to the biggest ring in the back it rubs a little and if I'm on the smallest ring up front and smallest in the back it rubs again. Seems to me that the bike should be able to go into each and every gear with no interference whatsoever. ......should Forge fit the bill for it this one time?

It is common --- I would not worry. And no forge would not be responsible for the bill, you still got the bike at a great deal. Not sure if this happens on mine, but then again, i never do that. I imagine it would
    [SIZE=1]<IBEX ASTA EXPERT X9><Motobecane Fly Pro><[/SIZE][SIZE=1]HOOK EM' HORNS[/SIZE][SIZE=1]><Go Cardinals!><Scotty Doesn't Know>[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK, I know this is the wrong forum for drivetrain questions, but it's my thread and I know you guys will already know what bike and drivetrain I'm talking in reference to so, here goes. Should there be any interference from the front derailer on the chain when I'm at the extreme ends of the rear casette? By this I mean, if I'm on the biggest ring in the front and go to the biggest ring in the back it rubs a little and if I'm on the smallest ring up front and smallest in the back it rubs again. Seems to me that the bike should be able to go into each and every gear with no interference whatsoever. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is there really a limit as to what gears you can use up front in relation to the back? If there is, that's silly because then you can't really call it a 27 speed drivetrain then. Anyway, is this normal or should I consider the drivetrain "out of tune" and take it into the LBS to get it adjusted. BTW, this was the case with it since "day one". Shouldn't it have come preadjusted properly? If it does needs LBS adjustment, should Forge fit the bill for it this one time?
    its cross chaining.... normal noise, but you should avoid doing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey jeep thanks man, I really want to buy another one. I have last years Forge Sawback 5xx, which I really like. I figure I would get another, but I want to see the look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by txjohng
    It is common --- I would not worry. And no forge would not be responsible for the bill, you still got the bike at a great deal. Not sure if this happens on mine, but then again, i never do that. I imagine it would
    How is it common and nothing to worry about. I read that you should not let the chain drag on the derailers, especially the front one because it will wear a groove in it and cause shifting issues later on. Regardless of that, it just doesn't seem right. There are obvious design flaws in the geometry if the chain cannot be used on EACH and EVERY gear it has on it. After all, if the distance between the back casette and front crank would be longer this wouldn't be a problem. I just don't see how you can put components together and not have them mesh right. I'm certainly not a bike pro or anything, but this perticular problem just doesn't seem "a normal thing". I'd rather call it a "normal thing due to frame/component limitations". Hell, they should have called it a 20 speed because there's at least 2-3 gears on the back that you can't use when you're on the small or largest ring up front. Just silly if you ask me. I'm going to call them about this tomorrow.

Oh yeah, how did I get this bike at a great deal? Stating that would mean that I got a Forge 5xx for some kind of discount, which I didn't. Just because Forge puts a good frame/components together and sells it for less then the other guys certainly does not mean "I got a good deal on the bike". I got a very good package for what the bike is, but then again, I think the other guys are asking too much for "a bike" anyway. That's just how I view this. If there's LBSs offering LIFETIME adjustments (worth $70 a pop) on any bike you buy from them should give everyone an idea of how OVERPRICED performance bikes really are in LBS or MSRP prices.

Anyway, thanks for the info about this so far. Oh yeah, and hurry up jeepinmike with those pics of the blue 07 5xx already...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow cross chaining is like noobie 101 basics...

Sure its not NORMAL normal to have sounds, but it will wear your gears out 200 x faster and there is not reason to cross chain because it makes no sense at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the 19"(blue) coming, supposed to arrive on the 15th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the same "issue", but as mentioned above it happens on any bike and not a good thing.

Comparing my GFs Next to the Forge, she has twist shifters that you shift the front derailer as you go up the gears in the back. 1 to 2 on the front shifter is actually like 4 clicks on her bike. This allows her to run the chain in a bad position without much noise. With the Forge the shifter is supposed to be 1 click from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, etc. (I have issues with 1 to 2).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Granted it may be noobie101 material here, but I remember never having this issue with my old 10 speed when I was younger. Also, do you consider being on the middle front gear and on the smallest in the back as "cross chaining"? It's rubbing a little on the front derailer in this configuration also. I just don't see how this can be acceptable. I can except maybe the extreme opposite configurations as really pushing the 27speed drivetrain past it's clerence limits, but middle gear up front should allow you to traverse the entire back cassette without issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    I have the same "issue", but as mentioned above it happens on any bike and not a good thing.

Comparing my GFs Next to the Forge, she has twist shifters that you shift the front derailer as you go up the gears in the back. 1 to 2 on the front shifter is actually like 4 clicks on her bike. This allows her to run the chain in a bad position without much noise. With the Forge the shifter is supposed to be 1 click from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, etc. (I have issues with 1 to 2).
    Wh yare her bars pointing downward??/ She'll get carpal tunnel or bad wrist pains if you keep them like that... straighten the poor girl's bar out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    Wh yare her bars pointing downward??/ She'll get carpal tunnel or bad wrist pains if you keep them like that... straighten the poor girl's bar out.
    That is a "from Wal-Mart" picture. The bike has been "corrected" since.

Thanks though....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Granted it may be noobie101 material here, but I remember never having this issue with my old 10 speed when I was younger. Also, do you consider being on the middle front gear and on the smallest in the back as "cross chaining"? It's rubbing a little on the front derailer in this configuration also. I just don't see how this can be acceptable. I can except maybe the extreme opposite configurations as really pushing the 27speed drivetrain past it's clerence limits, but middle gear up front should allow you to traverse the entire back cassette without issues.
    If its on the middle that is just derailler adjustment issues..

Your previous post said smallest front and smallest back. big no no.

mtbr member

Chain Crossing

You have some points....

Although it is common with many/most bikes it does point out some type of design flaw. Which I think is very difficult to get around. So yes it is common and you do not want the rub as you will wear things out.

I do not see any point to use the small ring in the front and crossed with the small ring in the back. And I do not see any point to use the largest ring in the front with the biggest in the back.

Now the middle gear in the front should be able to get to all the back gears with out a problem. you many need to adjust the limit screws on the front d. to get it from rubbing.

someone else said they had trouble shifting from 1-2, they need to mess with the barrel adjustment( just a bit, like a 1/5 of a turn) and test it that way

NOTE: these bikes are usually assembled and tuned at the factory, then unassembled and packed. But they do get shipped thousand of miles and encounter bumps and lots of handling so thing may come out of adjustment.

As far as getting a good deal you did. Yes you did not get any special discount, but you got a bike a for about 200 less, maybe even 1/2 off , than what an normal lbs would see something comparably equipped for.

And you point about the lifetime maintenance being 70 a pop...a good point, but most of them only offer adjustments. Meaning, they adjust your brakes and derailures ...something you should learn. Most of them do not break down the bike, take off the cassette or the crank or rebuild the shock for free.

Speaking of the adjustments, they are EASY. Park Tool has a great site with tons of info, or you could by a book called zinn and the art or mountain bike maintenance.

I think you are being a bit too picky ... but you do have some points. Why do they call it a 27 speed, if in reality you can only access 23-25 of them?
    [SIZE=1]<IBEX ASTA EXPERT X9><Motobecane Fly Pro><[/SIZE][SIZE=1]HOOK EM' HORNS[/SIZE][SIZE=1]><Go Cardinals!><Scotty Doesn't Know>[/SIZE]

my fun has a hurting
    occasionally i will cross the chain without realizing it in the moment but man is it ever a bad idea to run it that way. yes it is a gear and yes it will make the bike move forward, but take a look at your chain line and think about the lateral stress you are subjecting the chain to in that position.

as for the rubbing, you can always adjust your limit screws so that the derailluer doesnt move quite as far, but you might wind up having issues shifting in or out of the outside gears. as long as its staying in that gear combo, even though i cant repeat enough how bad it is for the chain, and the derailluer shifts the chain from ring to ring smoothly, its in adjustment, even if it rubs a little. hell i get a little rub going "big" big and little little on my bike with an all xt drive train and a bash guard instead of a big ring. its the bike's way of saying "hey dummy quit messin' up my damn chain!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Last edited by jeepinmike; 05-10-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast