Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    Thank you for the pictures jleecong! I am sorry if this has already been covered but can someone tell me everything they had to assemble? From jleecong's pictures it looks like almost everything was already on it.
    If memory is working you need to install the following..

Flip Stem, Install Seat, Install Pedals, Mount Handle Bars.
    Mount disk to front wheel, insert skewer, mount front wheel, mount disk brake, wire disk brake.
    Adjust, Adjust, Adjust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another question, does anyone have Forge's email? I keep trying to call them with no answer.
    From what I have read you need to leave a message and they will call you back. They are a small company.

What info are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Jleecong, that's all I needed to assemble as well. Great pictures!!! Well done, l like what they did this year , seems as if the frame is lighter as well. Has anyone bought the blue? Please report!!!! My Sawback is last years in matte blue, i'm told it's the same matte blue (19") but with enhanced graphics and frame. I may buy another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    The bike arrived a day early with my order from blueskycycling.com. In classic UPS fashion there was some damage to the box but not the worst I've seen from UPS.

Overall the bike looked good. There were a couple of scratches on the frame and a couple on the components/parts. First issue was the bottom bolt for the handle bars. It was not smooth like the top and I had to use a LOT of force from about 1/3 of the way down to tighten it. Top bolt was nice and smooth.

My next annoyance/issue was the front wheel, 2 things.. First were the springs on the quick release bolt. There had gotten wrapped around each other. This probably took more time than anything as in the end I had to get a small flathead and needle nose pliers to get them apart without destroying the springs. Next was UPSs fault. One of the nice gashed in the box happen to be right on the front wheel. This cause the plastic cover protecting the wheel to shear of leaving plastic in the quick release bolt hole. No problem in the end, but I was scratching my head for a second.

I didn't get a chance to ride as my pump/converter didn't work, but I did get my CatEye micro wireless computer and water bottle cage installed.

Pics of the bike and everything.
    http://www.x2-hosting.com/Forge
    Same issue with mine. Box had a little bit of compression on it, but was not gouged like yours was. I think Forge needs to have bigger writing (perhaps even in ebonics) for THIS SIDE UP and FRAGILE! Anyway, the bottom bolt on the handlebar section of the stem was the same way for me. At first I thought it was stripped a little because the engagement was rough once it was threaded in a little. I decided to wing it and keep turning and it was fine. Once you get it tight the first time, if you have to take it out again it's smooth so don't worry too much about that.... I had to do that to reroute one of my cable because I didn't like the way it was kinking midway down the top tube. The quickrelease springs... same deal with me, they were twisted and interlocked on each other, luckly I'm a wiz with puzzles so I just "unscrewed" them from eachother... I think they do this to keep them secured during shipping so they don't get lost. Other then that, the bike looks good. One question though. Do the handlebars need to be at that angle or can you just mount it at whatever's comfortable for you? Mine's at an angle where the brake levers and more horrizontal then yours are at. Is that wrong? I guess if I were to ride standing and pushed forward towards the front of the bike my wrists would need to vertically to be able to hit the brakes. What's the appopriate angle? Should one stand like that and make sure that your wrists are perfectly streight when you depress the levers? Let me know. Bike looks good though.... go jump it a little and you'll see how light it feels. BTW, can you weigh yours as well. Mine came out at 31.5lbs with everything. I want to make sure everyone weighs theirs so that we can find out if there's any scale differences from one person to another... I think everyone's main gripe in the past has been the heavyness of the frame. If you ask me it's light as anything, but I never got to experience the 2006 versions so I can't tell you if they are lighter or not. Bikefun, how about you weigh yours and let's see?

BTW, I see your dropout area in the back is not black/dark blue either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    Jleecong, that's all I needed to assemble as well. Great pictures!!! Well done, l like what they did this year , seems as if the frame is lighter as well. Has anyone bought the blue? Please report!!!! My Sawback is last years in matte blue, i'm told it's the same matte blue (19") but with enhanced graphics and frame. I may buy another.
    I have the 19", which is the 'blue' model. Its a matte blue, the graphics are a little fancyer, but not too different from pics I have seen of last years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another question, does anyone have Forge's email? I keep trying to call them with no answer.
    If you leave a message they should call back. I have had a few conversations with them (mostly Mike), and have been very pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    The quickrelease springs... same deal with me, they were twisted and interlocked on each other, luckly I'm a wiz with puzzles so I just "unscrewed" them from eachother... I think they do this to keep them secured during shipping so they don't get lost.
    I tried that but because one spring was “locked” to the skewer it wouldn’t untwist. I had to loosen the one side then it came apart exactly as you describe “untwist”.

One question though. Do the handlebars need to be at that angle or can you just mount it at whatever's comfortable for you? Mine's at an angle where the brake levers and more horrizontal then yours are at. Is that wrong? I guess if I were to ride standing and pushed forward towards the front of the bike my wrists would need to vertically to be able to hit the brakes. What's the appopriate angle? Should one stand like that and make sure that your wrists are perfectly streight when you depress the levers? Let me know.
    I actually followed the direction on that one. The manual said you wanted the break levers at about a 45 degree angle (or something). I’m more used to them being strait out (like in your pic), but I’ll test ride and adjust to what feels right.

BTW, can you weigh yours as well. Mine came out at 31.5lbs with everything. I want to make sure everyone weighs theirs so that we can find out if there's any scale differences from one person to another... I think everyone's main gripe in the past has been the heavyness of the frame.
    Will do when I get home from work.

BTW, I see your dropout area in the back is not black/dark blue either.
    Yea… Forge needs to fix/correct it. Looks a little silly with the stickers just ending, but I didn’t buy it for looks.

Long Distance MTB

Nice bike

I wish they made a 15" for my wife. I wonder if if has enough clearance for someone 5'4". It would be the perfect bike for my brother in law, he's the strongest rider I have met but rides the 100USD walmart bike I left when I bought my specialized.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    BTW, can you weigh yours as well. Mine came out at 31.5lbs with everything. I want to make sure everyone weighs theirs so that we can find out if there's any scale differences from one person to another... I think everyone's main gripe in the past has been the heavyness of the frame. If you ask me it's light as anything, but I never got to experience the 2006 versions so I can't tell you if they are lighter or not. Bikefun, how about you weigh yours and let's see?
    32 lbs with the bottle cage and computer, all reflectors attached.

EDIT: My scale measures in half pound increments.
    Last edited by jleecong; 05-03-2007 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    jeepinmike,
    What's your inseam length and how tall are you? I'm considering the 19" but my inseam is just barely over 32" and I'm a little concerned it may be too big for me despite being 5'11". I've read in some threads that stand-over height isn't all that important, but I'm not sure on this one seeing as I like my stuff.

Edit: Just in case anyone else wants to chime in, their website states that the 19" fits most riders 5'9"-6'1" while having a stand-over height of 31.7". The 17" fits most riders 5'5"-5'8" and has a stand-over height of 30.9". Which size would anyone suggest?

Thanks.
    Last edited by thaar; 05-03-2007 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    32 lbs with the bottle cage and computer, all reflectors attached.

EDIT: My scale measures in half pound increments.
    OMG, your bike so fat!!! Looks like the bottle cage and puter added about .5lbs. I'm glad we got pretty much the same weight values. I gota find last year's stats on this thing to see if it's lighter.... We need BIKEFUN to weigh his and tell us what it comes in at.

Ok, I found my printout of last year's stats. The weight was 32.7lbs. The tires were IRC Mythos (probably better then this year's pos Kenda ones). I think the chain was also better, it was a Shimano CN-HG73.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-03-2007 at 05:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thaar
    jeepinmike,
    What's your inseam length and how tall are you? I'm considering the 19" but my inseam is just barely over 32" and I'm a little concerned it may be too big for me despite being 5'11". I've read in some threads that stand-over height isn't all that important, but I'm not sure on this one seeing as I like my stuff.

Edit: Just in case anyone else wants to chime in, their website states that the 19" fits most riders 5'9"-6'1" while having a stand-over height of 31.7". The 17" fits most riders 5'5"-5'8" and has a stand-over height of 30.9". Which size would anyone suggest?

Thanks.
    I'll have to get my inseam and get back to you.... I'm right around 5'9".

*edit* inseam is 33.5" floor to crotch, with sneakers on.
    Last edited by jeepinmike; 05-04-2007 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thaar
    jeepinmike,

Thanks.
    I would go with the 19". I'm 5' 8ish and the 17 is perfect. Here is the 17".
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OMG, your bike so fat!!! Looks like the bottle cage and puter added about .5lbs. I'm glad we got pretty much the same weight values. I gota find last year's stats on this thing to see if it's lighter.... We need BIKEFUN to weigh his and tell us what it comes in at.

Ok, I found my printout of last year's stats. The weight was 32.7lbs. The tires were IRC Mythos (probably better then this year's pos Kenda ones). I think the chain was also better, it was a Shimano CN-HG73.
    I removed all the reflectors and weighed again (I added handlebar ends). With me holding the bike I got 33.5lbs. I removed the computer, still 33.5lbs. I next weighed just the bike. I held the rear brake and set the bike on the scale by the rear wheel. 31.5, 32.5, 32, 32.5 were my weights. I would think it’s safe to say factory weight is about 31.5 to 32 pounds with pedals.

It's also 30+ degrees cooler in my garage now than it was yesterday afternoon. If anyone is friends with a vet, a vet scale would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like the handlebar ends. Who makes those and how much were they? I was going to buy a silver aluminum water bottle cage, but I kinda like the way the black looks now. I'm going to have to go by the LBS today and check some things out. Where'd you get yours?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I like the handlebar ends. Who makes those and how much were they? I was going to buy a silver aluminum water bottle cage, but I kinda like the way the black looks now. I'm going to have to go by the LBS today and check some things out. Where'd you get yours?
    Both items are from BlueSkyCycling.com.

Delta Water Bottle Cage $2.19
    Profile Design SOS Stubby Bar Ends $14.98

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    I have the 19", which is the 'blue' model. Its a matte blue, the graphics are a little fancyer, but not too different from pics I have seen of last years.
    Any pics? The picture they have on the website doesn't look like last years matte color. I was just curious to see some real photos of the 19".

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been patiently researching for about a month now on what the right bike will be for myself, and after reading the threads about the sawback all day yesterday, i've decided it is the perfect bike for my needs. I just ordered it this morning (unfortunately didn't get the free shipping, but did get the 10% off plus 4% from ebates although i don't know how that works). I got the 19" as i am 6'0" 175lb. Very excited to receive the bike, I suppose it'll be here sometime in the next week. I'll keep everyone posted on how I end up feeling about it, however from what some of you have said, I should be very satisfied!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, went to the LBS today to look around for some stuff and stumbled across a silver carbon water bottle cage. Anyway, I thought it would look good on ma' ride so I bought it. Here's some pics.... and it's only 30grams.

It's one of these....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice

Portland, OR
    That bottle cage is pimp.

I think I'll save for one of these Forge bikes, I'll be getting the 19" since everyone has pics of the silver, I'll get some of the blue.

I'm 6' I used to ride a 19.5" Ironhorse Warrior frame, so I'm hoping the forge will be a little bit smaller in size. the IH was okay, but just a tad too big.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Odd how before the new models everyone bought blue.. now everyone has silver.

Do you realize no one has ever posted 2006 pics of the silver model?
    WTF

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any of you ridden it off road! I'm ordering the matte blue 5xx real soon, I'm so excited! How's the Dart ride for you? Please give me details.... Did you also apply the 10% discount? I googled Target coupons in the past and applied. What did you use? Let me know asap, before I order, thanks!! Going biking, very early morning here, late!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    Any of you ridden it off road! I'm ordering the matte blue 5xx real soon, I'm so excited! How's the Dart ride for you? Please give me details.... Did you also apply the 10% discount? I googled Target coupons in the past and applied. What did you use? Let me know asap, before I order, thanks!! Going biking, very early morning here, late!
    It's been 90+ when I get home from work so I haven't really ridden. I also have been tuning and taking it easy breaking everything in. On top of that apparently I'm VERY out of shape.

The bike feels great to me. Very solid and stable while feeling light and maneuverable. The DART shocks are "soft", but smooth, I'm only about 120lbs and see plenty of movement.

I'm baby sitting yesterday/today so no trails yet I also don't have a working bike rack or truck to make it to a real trail, but I did run out for a few miles this morning and every time I ride the bike it feels better and better.

I used the 10% off. TGTSAVQ2 - 10% off. Expires 6/30/07

The thing to remember is that you CAN return the bike to Target (minus shipping) if you have a problem or don't like it. I felt "safe" in my purchase just because of this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The bike feels great to me. Very solid and stable while feeling light and maneuverable. The DART shocks are "soft", but smooth, I'm only about 120lbs and see plenty of movement.

I'm baby sitting yesterday/today so no trails yet I also don't have a working bike rack or truck to make it to a real trail, but I did run out for a few miles this morning and every time I ride the bike it feels better and better.
    Are you a girl? TAKE PICS TAKE PICS! J/K You're pretty light to be a guy.

Anyway, you do know that you can adjust the preload on the front fork right? There's a turn knob on top of the left shock that turn clockwise to tighten or counterclockwise to loosen. I had to tighten my preload up because if you leave the fork where it is when it ships it's way too soft. I've taken several bunnyhops and jumps and now my fork only compresses about 2/3 of it's full travel at the most. I also don't have it on full stiff either. I'm about 151lbs so there's no way you're compressing more then me if you've tightened it up some. Anyway, give that a try and see how it works.

Also, for everyone... someone take a look at your box if you still have it and post the address for Forge Bikes. It's on there, I think it's Ft. Wayne, PA or something like that. I forgot to write it down before I threw out my box.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-05-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast