Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1610
  1. #26
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    Good job! Nice looking bike

    Very clean looking, welds look great, but I wouldn't expect less from something coming out of Gian'ts manufacturing facility. Thanks for the detailed report! Be sure to give us a comprehensive ride report, too.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    502
    JRS awesome photos!! Thanks. I've own my Sawback 5xx Matte Blue 19" for a year, awesome bikes, I agree. I rode all day yesterday, man it felt great!! Dude, your pictures are such a tease... I want one. I dig the changes this year . Keep us posted, I'm out of here. Going riding!!! Late.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    123
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I haven't taken it off road yet... it's so new and clean I didn't want to get it dirty I will be going off road here shortly with it though, it is a "mountain bike" after all isn't it. Anyway, I rode yesterday on the road and hopped a few curbs with it. Seems fine, no issues. I figure I'll break it in little by little testing things out rather then just going balls out the first day. One thing I have to say though.... the tires kinda suck. I don't know why they went to cheap Kendas this year... maybe it was to offset the cost of the Dart fork or something. Hey, does anyone still have the spec sheet from last year's models? I want to see what's changed... I'm pretty sure the tires were better last year. Were the rear casettes SRAM last year as well?

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txjohng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    739

    nice bike

    really for the $, very nice, the frame is a giant frame? is that correct, welds are nice and clean ...nice bike man
    [SIZE=1]<IBEX ASTA EXPERT X9><Motobecane Fly Pro><[/SIZE][SIZE=1]HOOK EM' HORNS[/SIZE][SIZE=1]><Go Cardinals!><Scotty Doesn't Know>[/SIZE]

  5. #30
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    Yes it is

    Quote Originally Posted by txjohng
    really for the $, very nice, the frame is a giant frame? is that correct, welds are nice and clean ...nice bike man
    Soem research shows that the Forge line of bikes is identical to certain models Giant sells in one of the Pacific Rim countries.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    123
    Well, went riding some more today... somewhere between 5-10 miles I think. A little bit of it was some minor offroad and some jumps. All I can say is that the thing is holding up just fine. Did some highspeed road riding, all the high gears... the thing is pretty quick. On the minor jumps I did take (curbs and ditches) the fork is holding up fine. According to the grease rings on the fork it's not compressing more then 40mm (half-way), but that's with the preload turned up maybe midway (I have it set so that it only dips a little on hard breaking)... I didn't like the nosedives it took on the stock setting. The shifting (offroad and onroad) are on the fly. No drips and no errors. You hit the shifter and it shifts, it doesn't care if you're on smooth road or pounding the hardtail on the dirt, it just does it. Oh and the brakes... let's just say that I like disc brakes better then V's. If you like to lock up the rear offroad to help with quick turns, you'll like these. Overall and on the second day only I like the bike. There were a few times offroad that I wished it wasn't a hardtail, but that's just inexperience on my part. Everyone knows it's easier and more forgiving to have FS for that. However, I couldn't bring myself to go with the 7xx because I wanted the Deore drivetrain... that and I don't like the frame layout of the 7xx. Anyway, I'll report back once I go back out and do some more offroading.

    Oh yeah, something to add. There's some minor "harmonic viabration" through the frame on the road when going as faster speeds. Don't know if it's drivetrain related or something else. You guys know what I'm talking about... it's like a slight buzzing you feel and hear.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 04-29-2007 at 01:55 PM.

  7. #32
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    Tire noise, perhaps?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Oh yeah, something to add. There's some minor "harmonic viabration" through the frame on the road when going as faster speeds. Don't know if it's drivetrain related or something else. You guys know what I'm talking about... it's like a slight buzzing you feel and hear.
    This could very well be the result of the knobby tires on the road. It will produce the sound you describe.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrKalentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    240
    I know that when I ride my mtn bike on the road (and the road is flat and clean), going 15-20 mph there's a buzzing sound... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    124
    I just got my 19" 5xx together last night.... so far so good! My nervousness over the size went away as soon as I sat on it..... I think its a great fit for me (5'9" 200lb). It didn't get to ride it more than up and down the driveway, hopefully more soon.

    I am hoping to take it to a LBS this week just to double check and fine tune it.

    I too wasn't sure where to route the front brake cable. Right now its running along the back side of the fork, but needs to be secured.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    690
    How is such a good bike available at Target?

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    502
    Got me, works for me. I've had mine for over a year... Great bikes, I also bought the M Street for my wife. I really would like the new one this year, sweet look and components. Man what a tease!

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    I just got my 19" 5xx together last night.... so far so good! My nervousness over the size went away as soon as I sat on it..... I think its a great fit for me (5'9" 200lb). It didn't get to ride it more than up and down the driveway, hopefully more soon.

    I am hoping to take it to a LBS this week just to double check and fine tune it.

    I too wasn't sure where to route the front brake cable. Right now its running along the back side of the fork, but needs to be secured.
    Damn, 5'9" and you fit on the 19"? Humm, I'm 5'10" and think the 17" is a comfy fit. I guess it's probably because the standover difference is so small. Anyway, I ran my cable on the left side of the form and crossing over between the silver tube and top of the fork. If you look at the wheel overpass (dunno what you call it) of the for on the back of it you'll see 4 small dimples, kind of like guides of some kind. Anyway, the cable sits securely between them and I put a ziptie around it there. Holds it securely and it doesn't touch any of the moving fork parts. Let me know if you want me to take a pic to see what I'm talking about.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    690
    Can anyone else answer my question? Are the bikes you order from target.com assembled by target or does forge assemble them and they are drop shipped by target.com to your house?

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Damn, 5'9" and you fit on the 19"? Humm, I'm 5'10" and think the 17" is a comfy fit. I guess it's probably because the standover difference is so small. Anyway, I ran my cable on the left side of the form and crossing over between the silver tube and top of the fork. If you look at the wheel overpass (dunno what you call it) of the for on the back of it you'll see 4 small dimples, kind of like guides of some kind. Anyway, the cable sits securely between them and I put a ziptie around it there. Holds it securely and it doesn't touch any of the moving fork parts. Let me know if you want me to take a pic to see what I'm talking about.
    I went buy the website, and I was right on the cut off.... err'ed on the big size due to my being uncomfortable on a smaller (exact size unknown) bike.... I guess time will tell. Funny thing is the seat is pushed back on the rails too. Standover is comfy with ~3" clearance.

    I know where you are talking on the fork. I am going to take another look.

    I got it tuned today and took a few laps around the block, and it really felt good! I had some conversations with Mike from Forge and the LBS owner today...... Mike is very helpful and tentative to concerns, plus he is a rider himself. The LBS owner was ultimately impressed I think. He thought it was at least a $400 bike, and besides questioning the frame, he praised everything else.

    I am still trying to justify the purchase, but I do that.... unfortunitally only time will tell.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    Can anyone else answer my question? Are the bikes you order from target.com assembled by target or does forge assemble them and they are drop shipped by target.com to your house?
    From my research Target doesn't touch the bikes. It's unknown if they are stored at Forge and drop shipped (not as likely) or Forge is using Target as the warehouse and advertiser (more likely). The bike is NOT available in stores.

    From my understanding Forge is trying to bridge the gap between you department store bike and lbs bike.

    New Forge Bikes up on Target.com
    Forge Sawback 5xx Silver is back in stock
    Choose Bikes

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    123
    The "From" address on my box is Target.com Returns Center in Massillion, OH. Definately coming from a Target warehouse somewhere and not shipped from Forge. More then likely the bikes go from the factory to Target where they get shipped to buyers.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    The "From" address on my box is Target.com Returns Center in Massillion, OH. Definately coming from a Target warehouse somewhere and not shipped from Forge. More then likely the bikes go from the factory to Target where they get shipped to buyers.
    Mine should be arriving today so I'll check it out. UPS shows it originating from SHARONVILLE, OH.

    I'll let you know about the dropout areas.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    I'll let you know about the dropout areas.
    Cool. Yeah, I'm interested to know. I also want to know if your stem is one bolt or two bolt.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    502
    Mine was direct from Forge's Warehouse, I think they do both, probably depends on location or fulfillment. But from what I understand, Target doesn't touch the bikes. Mine was perfect when it was shipped to me. JRS any dirt pics yet?

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    198
    The bike arrived a day early with my order from blueskycycling.com. In classic UPS fashion there was some damage to the box but not the worst I've seen from UPS.

    Overall the bike looked good. There were a couple of scratches on the frame and a couple on the components/parts. First issue was the bottom bolt for the handle bars. It was not smooth like the top and I had to use a LOT of force from about 1/3 of the way down to tighten it. Top bolt was nice and smooth.

    My next annoyance/issue was the front wheel, 2 things.. First were the springs on the quick release bolt. There had gotten wrapped around each other. This probably took more time than anything as in the end I had to get a small flathead and needle nose pliers to get them apart without destroying the springs. Next was UPSs fault. One of the nice gashed in the box happen to be right on the front wheel. This cause the plastic cover protecting the wheel to shear of leaving plastic in the quick release bolt hole. No problem in the end, but I was scratching my head for a second.

    I didn't get a chance to ride as my pump/converter didn't work, but I did get my CatEye micro wireless computer and water bottle cage installed.

    Pics of the bike and everything.
    http://www.x2-hosting.com/Forge

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    690
    Thank you for the pictures jleecong! I am sorry if this has already been covered but can someone tell me everything they had to assemble? From jleecong's pictures it looks like almost everything was already on it.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    My next annoyance/issue was the front wheel, 2 things.. First were the springs on the quick release bolt. There had gotten wrapped around each other. This probably took more time than anything as in the end I had to get a small flathead and needle nose pliers to get them apart without destroying the springs.
    if you take the springs off the skewer, they just slide apart. you over thought that one way to much....

    glad to see another happy owner.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    I went buy the website, and I was right on the cut off.... err'ed on the big size due to my being uncomfortable on a smaller (exact size unknown) bike.... I guess time will tell. Funny thing is the seat is pushed back on the rails too. Standover is comfy with ~3" clearance.
    A short ride last night of mixed asphalt and pot-holed gravel road was really good. I was very comfotable on the bike, and didn't feel stretched out at all. I was at a very nice angle for both on-road and off. The bike took the pot-holes in stride, and was amazingly smooth on the pavement.

    So far so good.

    I would recommend Forges guidelines for height if you are 'average' proportions, and adjust accordingly if you are short legged and long torso'ed for example.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    if you take the springs off the skewer, they just slide apart. you over thought that one way to much....

    glad to see another happy owner.
    That was the problem one was locked in the middle (locked to the skewer), It wouldn't move. I had to take a small flat head and needle nose to loosen it so it would slide down the skewer. Just a annoyance.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    690
    Another question, does anyone have Forge's email? I keep trying to call them with no answer.

Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •