mtbr member
    Sep 2009

First Bike Build

Hello, I need some advise. I recently found a gently used Trek 930 at a garage sale for $60. It is dark blue with 17" frame ( Center of cranks to top of seat tube not sure if this is correct)with a regular fork. (no suspension). I went to a trek store recently and the sales guy told me he would put me into a 22" bike. I am 6' with about 34 - 35" inseam. (book to crotch method)

My question is: Is it worth buying a new seatpost and getting higher bars to make the bike fit me or should i just sell this bike and buy one that fits be better. I really like the the trek 930, It seems very sturdy and light. Will I still be uncomfortable on this bike if I buy a higher seat post and bars? will the bike really fit me then or am I just going to want a bigger bike later. what do you pros think??
    Last edited by tcypranowski; 09-11-2009 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    No, It will not fit no matter what you do. Not sure about the 22 inch bike but probably somewhere between 19-21. If you can get the seat high enough you should be ok. It will be a better bike for just riding the streets. I probably wouldnt do any serious riding as you would have a tendency to go over the bars with the weight distribution. If you were to really get serious about riding though you would want a bigger bike. A bike that doesnt fit right or is too heavy might discourage you from riding. Test ride one of the newer Treks like a 6000 in your size for a comparison. The downside on some of the garage sale fixers is that you can have $200 into them before you know it.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    on the same note, i'm back into bike building. i started back with a new trek 4300 disc, and upgraded all the parts for fun. now im onto a full suspension and almost over whelmed with all the different types and suspensions. i have narrowed it down but am having a tough time finding quality frames for under a grand. am i off my rocker or is it not sale season yet? or am i just looking on the wrong websites?!

mtbr member
    If you are just looking for a frame I would say the majority of buyers look at Ebay first. Jenson USA and others will sell OEM frames that are new that they have disassembled and sold off parts separately. Heres what I think are the three biggest seller of frames; Pricepoint with their Sette Ace and Flite both in the $400 range, Jensonusa with mostly Jamis frames in the $500 range and Bobs Bicycles which has a variety of OEM full suspension frames from $500-$1300. I like the KHS XC frame which at around $500 looks pretty attractive. Earlier in the year Bob had a load of K2 frames that sold out. I have bought stuff from all three of these sellers and done returns. All are top notch.

mtbr member
    good example of a custom Sette Flite http://www.sette-experience.proboard...play&thread=60
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    i wound up grabbing a giant frame, i know crazy, but it was a great price and i was all about their suspension. now moving along, i need a good fork. i don't want to spend too much, and i am over whelmed with all the model choices from fox and rock, all i know is that i want to run a 2.5 tire in the front...any suggestions on a specific model they like? something to handle the trails, ups and downs, but also able to handle the random 4' drop?