Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A few questions about powdercoating...

571 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wickerman1 
#1 ·
So I'm having my frame powdercoated and I'm also getting a new surly 1x1 fork. I'm having the frame painted in a semi matte color, and was wondering if it would be possible to remove the polish off the fork. I want the fork to be semi matte too (still black), I was thinking that maybe a very fine grit sandpaper would do the trick, do you think it will work? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
No DIY here...
why not have them PC the fork too?

other than that...
My best suggestion is to lightly sand it and CC it with a corresponding finish - ie Semi-Matte.
It wont be the most durable (PC), but it will look a whole lot better than the sanding route - unless you're a CNC robot sander.- which I am...
- Bleep-Bleep-Scraaach-Bing-Bong-Bong

#5 ·
fr0sty said:
So I'm having my frame powdercoated and I'm also getting a new surly 1x1 fork. I'm having the frame painted in a semi matte color, and was wondering if it would be possible to remove the polish off the fork. I want the fork to be semi matte too (still black), I was thinking that maybe a very fine grit sandpaper would do the trick, do you think it will work? Thanks in advance.
sand it and try a stain clear coat.... you said your frame is getting done in a half mat, half mat is satin finish.
Satin finish will be the closest to a half mat, or some flat black Hiheat paint has a satin like finish once a few coats are rattle canned on it . One or the other will be close.
Best thing to do though is find something to paint with it first and compare it to the frame before you do the fork.
Here is a bike I rattle canned a few years ago... it was grey and I stripped it and repainted it.
RM Flow.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.