mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fat guy needs a mountain bike

Newbie here, looking for a bike. I live in The Woodlands, TX and there are a lot of hike and bike trails near where I live. It's all flat, east Texas piney woods terrain. No rocks, no hills, just trails through the woods. Biggest thing I'm likely to see is a curb.

Problem is, I'm 300lbs. I rode my brother's Cannondale in college when I was 270 and it served me fine, I never broke anything or even really got the wheels out of true. It didn't shift real well though.

Anyway, budget is 500-1000 for a first bike. I make a good salary, so cost isn't an issue. Getting my fat butt out and losing some weight is. Don't want full suspension, heck not sure I need a front suspension, The old Cannondale I used to ride didn't have any suspension at all and I thought it was fine. There's a bike store right by my job that carries Specialized and Bianchi and some other brands, no Trek or Cannondale though. Can post a link to the store's website if you want to see all the brands they carry. Just looking for something good that will hold up more or less under me. I'm 6' 1" tall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Beyond Definition
    Go to the LBS and take a look, ask them for suggestions and ride a few. Pick the one you like best. The best bike for you is the one that fits and you feel comfortable on.
    2009 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Check out the Specialized Rockhopper 29. They are around your stated budget.
    Bianchi 29er are priced a bit more. Why 29? Your size will look good on a 29.

If as you say "cost is not an issue", I'll advise you to buy the most bike you can afford now as upgrading bits by bits later on will be more expensive.