Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Familiar With Giant

456 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mountainbiker24 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a bike next month to become more fit. I'm 44 and generally in good health. Currently I ride a beach cruiser around town with no problems. I have a lot of interest in the Giant line. Which IYO would be the wiser choice; Defy Alliance 0 (better components) or Defy Advanced 3 (full carbon frame)? One of the benefits I seek most is a smooth vibration free ride, which they both claim to have.

#2 ·
those are both road bikes.. try roadbikereview.com for better info on that kinda stuff.

roadbikes are ALL about fit. you dont fit, the bikes going to suck under you. you can swap stems and bars and posts around to get a better fit, but the baseline fit with a good frame that properly fits you makes for a better ultimate fit.

if the giants fit you better than other bikes you try, its the right one for you. never buy a roadbike without riding a bunch of different ones from different brands though.

#3 ·
If you plan on sticking with road riding for a while and plan on riding a lot, I'd go with the Advanced with the full-carbon frame. Components wear out much faster than the frame will, so as parts wear out you can replace them with better stuff. The frame is much more difficult to replace. If you plan on riding recreationally, save some money and get the better components. Swapping out the tires to wider ones will improve the ride quality, as will gel inserts under the handlebar tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.