I like to ride my bike.

EX 8, Scalpel 900, or Specialized FSR

Basically, I'll be doing XC racing in the summer. I already have a 30.5 lbs XC hardtail, a cheap all mountain bike, but I do want a good XC full suspension for more technical races. I'd go for the Scalpel, but it might be too little travel for just a normal ride. I'm leaning to having The Trek EX 8 as #1 the Cannondale Scalpel as #2 and a Stumpy around $2800 as #3. Thanks
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Fuel EX 8

The trek is going to have all around Good parts on it. I have work on 2 or 3 of them and i have a trek Fuel EX 8 2006 with full XTR. I have no bad things to say about it.
    Last edited by Joe_Bicycleworld; 02-24-2006 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I plan to be doing quite a few races on my hardtail this Summer, and like you I'm looking for something that is FS for trail riding and the more tech. courses. No offense meant by this, but have you considered spending about $500 less for the FS bike and upgrading parts on your hardtail to make it lighter? I like the value of the SJ FSR Comp at $2200 (v. the Expert w/ Talas @$2800). For the $500-$600 dollars I think you could shave 2-3 pounds anyway, depending on your bike setup. It just seems strange on the face of things that you'll be buying a FS that is lighter than your hardtail race bike.