Trail Ninja

The evolution of the mtn bike and limitations of current standards

I'm curious, what radical changes can be introduced to the mtb that can open up design potential? I'm trying to brainstorm various things right now and am just jotting things down to see if my thoughts expand on any of them.

The need for a seat tube? Any other way to give a rider a seat that can be adjustable?

Shimano cassette standard? Going from a 10mm QR to a 12mm bolt doesn't seem like a big improvement. Perhaps something like the Kappius rear hub can introduce bigger rear axles?

Pedal-crank interface? Any way to get a bigger bearing and axle for pedals without affecting pedal stance width too much?

Various widths, such as the 83mm BB/150mm rear, 110 or 135 front, one sided forks, seat stays, need for standover height, BB clearance and need for bashguards, mud...

Radical designs that put the chain and chainring inside the frame? Internal geared hub + internal geared crank?

Concentric rear swingarm with a torsion spring that has damping characteristics for comfort (not high performance) purposes, combined with seat boom with designed in flex?

How hubless wheels affect stability, with the "axles" not being centered on the wheel.

How suspension wheels and airless wheels might work on a bike.

More wheels? A narrow stanced quad?

A seat that supports the back and lets you use your "squatting" muscles to propel the bike, yet still in a position to allow the body to brace for a landing impact?

A hinge for steering the rear of the bike?

Omni-directional "ball" wheels?

A motor, fly wheel, or other energy assist? A wing or sail? Floats for going over water?

Need more demands to push bike tech. One size fits all simple adjustability? Still able to fit under/into, over (ex. bunnyhop), squeeze/weave through obstacles (ex. chicanes)?

Current aesthetic preferences be damned, I want to see what can be done to a bike, or any other human powered wheeled vehicle. Maybe I should continue my schooling in mechanical engineering...

I've seen some concepts of various weird bikes before, such as single large wheels with a rider in the center, but I regret not saving any of the pics, else I'd post them here.

mtbr member
    Having been in bikes coming onto 25 years there has been some strage designs tried. Goodle slingshot bikes, soft ride bikes, kirk presision frames, lefty shocks.

But honestly, taking a person who has been out of bikes for 40 years, they could still understand and figure out a current mtn bike with little problem.

Most everything has been evloutionary, not revolotionary.

Over the years people have suggested that internal geared hubs, or belt drives, or some other crazy idea will take over bikes. Some have changed things, like tubeless, but nothing has been earth shakingly different.

IMHO

Bill

Trail Ninja
    Yea, I've seen weird things. Hanebrink, various e-bikes, gearbox designs, string bikes, bikes with linked F-R suspension. Didn't want to go into novelty stuff like tall bikes. I just want to see if people could step out of the box a bit and see how to get by some limitations and standards.

More interesting to google "bicycle concepts", IMO.