mtbr member
    Mar 2011

the eternal question

Don't hate me cause I know this has come up too many times. So I've narrowed my new bike choices to a trance x3, stumpy comp, and fuel ex8. Surprised? Here's where I'm at. I'm ok with the different susp types. They will do what I need. I can live with the fuel's travel, but like the other's a little more. The real question.... Is the tapered head tube and 15qr on the trance x3 worth not having the best rear shock (float r, no pedaling platform). Is maestro that good?

I know there are differences in components, but it's cheaper to upgrade those one at a time than upgrading a fork and wheelset at once. As far as feel, of course they are different, but none of them were so bad that I couldn't fiddle a little to get them right, but the stumpy did feel the best. Just don't know if I could get over the smaller HT and 9mm qr knowing what else is out there.

T.W.O.
    I'd go with the Trance X. My second choice would be the Fuel EX. All 3 choices would ride really nice try to pick the one that fit you the most. All 3 has plenty of bells and whistles feature on them whichever one you are getting should be good bang for your bucks.

Ninja Master Powers
    This is way too easy Trance…. FTW…

It's about showing up.
    Oh, that eternal question.

Nevermind.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ry36199
    Don't hate me cause I know this has come up too many times. So I've narrowed my new bike choices to a trance x3, stumpy comp, and fuel ex8. Surprised? Here's where I'm at. I'm ok with the different susp types. They will do what I need. I can live with the fuel's travel, but like the other's a little more. The real question.... Is the tapered head tube and 15qr on the trance x3 worth not having the best rear shock (float r, no pedaling platform). Is maestro that good?

I know there are differences in components, but it's cheaper to upgrade those one at a time than upgrading a fork and wheelset at once. As far as feel, of course they are different, but none of them were so bad that I couldn't fiddle a little to get them right, but the stumpy did feel the best. Just don't know if I could get over the smaller HT and 9mm qr knowing what else is out there.

Maestro is that good, so is the tapered HT and 15mm. Giant FTW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone. I really did try to make a case for the trek and spesh, but always went back to the giant. No one wants to defend the other two? I thought I might hear at least one recommendation for each.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks again for helping decide on a bike, but right when about to get the giant I start looking at around again and come across the santa cruz nickel. Getting on the nickel tomorrow for a ride to see how it feels. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    My LBS carries both Giant and Santa Cruz. I once asked how those high end Giants sell. I was told not very well because they are in the same price range as the Santa Cruz bikes and for that money everyone thinks Santa Cruz. I have never ridden either on a trail but take it for what it's worth.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I can see how a santa cruz would be more appealingat a certain price point, but does it still make it a better buy?

mtbr member
    No bike is a good buy unless it fits you. How did your test ride go? Now at least you can compare it to your other options. I'd put the fit above the value.
    He who dares....wins!