mtbr member
    Feb 2009

ellsworth epiphany vs titus ftm vs titus el guapo

im aiming for an all mountain lots of travel under 28lb bike. i've narrowed down my search to these three:
    - epiphany
    - ftm
    - el guapo

i ride a GT force right now and im aiming for similar travel but with a better build and better weight. the GT rides very well but is a bit heavy

Ologist
    I think if you want more all mountain instead of trail bike you should consider the Moment. This would be more inline with the El Guapo. I have the '10 Epiphany and a pretty burly build but it is definitely a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the Moment was in mi list too but i scratched out because some one said it could not be built under 28lb. i am also considering the yeti 575.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Go for the Epi. I came from a motolite (which is basically like ftm), Epi is much better and can easily be build under 28 lbs.

As a comparison, titus is faster than the epi, but what I don't like with the Titus is their bob issue on uphill and you need to lock the shocks or on the pro-pedal to lessen or remove the bob while uphill..... but there are times when you are full open and going downhill in trails and then there is a sudden uphill... you will have a problem with bob.. but with Epi, very efficient, no bob uphill and very capable downhill.. no more tweakings/locking of shocks, etc. this is just from my experience...

Regards,
    Charles
    2008 Epiphany
    2008 Moment
    2007 Motolite
    2006 Anthem
    2005 Hard Rock Sport

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4r13s
    Go for the Epi. I came from a motolite (which is basically like ftm), Epi is much better and can easily be build under 28 lbs.

As a comparison, titus is faster than the epi, but what I don't like with the Titus is their bob issue on uphill and you need to lock the shocks or on the pro-pedal to lessen or remove the bob while uphill..... but there are times when you are full open and going downhill in trails and then there is a sudden uphill... you will have a problem with bob.. but with Epi, very efficient, no bob uphill and very capable downhill.. no more tweakings/locking of shocks, etc. this is just from my experience...

Regards,
    Charles
    not sure if the FTM and MotoLite are the same in terms of pedaling. Those that have evolved from one to the other seem to prefer the FTM in every regard. One option may be to buy a MotoLite, they can be had for very cheap currently; and send the shock off to Push Industries for a custom tune. I have a 2005 MotoLite, which really came into its own after the modification.check it out:Titus ftw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    not sure if the FTM and MotoLite are the same in terms of pedaling. Those that have evolved from one to the other seem to prefer the FTM in every regard. One option may be to buy a MotoLite, they can be had for very cheap currently; and send the shock off to Push Industries for a custom tune. I have a 2005 MotoLite, which really came into its own after the modification.check it out:Titus ftw
    I think this is a great idea. A pushed ML with a HV can is a thing of beauty. The fact that you could have this frame (with a PUSHED HV RP23) for less than $1500 is amazing. An absolute steal.