mtbr member
    Aug 2011

EC49/40 Reducer Crown Race?

I have a Cane Creek 40 headset on my Yeti ASR 5 - looks like an EC49/40 according to their headset finder. I need a crown race reducer for a straight steerer fork that I'm putting on there (used to have a tapered fork).

Will this product work?
    Cane Creek 110-Series Conversion Crown > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Crown Races | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

What's confusing me, is that it says 52/30 converter, but the headset is a 49/40? 49 is not the same has 52. Or does the 49 only refer to the headtube diameter, and the 52 refers to the diameter of the bottom of the lower cup (or bearing?), so it will work?

mtbr member
    go here, Headset Fit Finder

and put in your particulars and it will spit out the HS you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I already have the headset. I'm looking to find a crown race to adapt the headset to a 1 1/8" steerer (crown race reducer). I found one, but the 49 doesn't match the 52 of the crown race reducer, and I'm not sure if it's because it's the wrong one, or if it's because the measurements are measuring different things (internal diameter of the headtube vs. diameter of the bearings/external cup).

mtbr member
    Sorry I miss understood. On the EC49, the 49 is the diameter in mm of the headtube that the lower cup was pressed into. The inside diameter of the cup itself, where the bearings and race go is 52mm. I believe the 52/30 is the correct race for your setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm using the 40 Series in my Asr5 with a straight steer but I have the reducer cups. Instead if external cups they are internal. Can't run a tapered steer with this cup though.

What fork travel are you coming from and going to? If you are bumping to a longer fork on the 5, say from 120 to 140, it may be a nice balance to run the zero stack reducer cup. It's about $40 to get just the lower assembly.

Otherwise, I'm not sure that CC offers a reducer crown race for their EC49 cup. They may but it's best to call them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The 52/30 crown race is the one you want. Running a zs49 bottom cup could also shave 8mm off your stack height if you weren't aware.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

EC49/40 Reducer Crown Race?

I have a 120-150 U Turn Revelation 20mm. I'll play around with the U-Turn to find the head angle balance I want. Coming from a slacked out Nomad, so I think 130-140 is what I'll settle on. This is gonna be my lightweight go-fast bike for tamer trails, but I still will probably want a slacker feeling for cornering in berms and stuff. I might stick a 10-20mm spacer in there and run it 100-130 or 110-140 for long climbs. I have a UTurn Lyrik Coil on my Nomad and love the travel adjust for the long climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK, good info about the fork. When I ran my Rev at 130 it was nice for climbing but I too prefer a bit slacker HA. I bumped it up to 140, don't have a u-turn so use internal spacers, and found that it was about as high as I'd go because the front end started to wanted a bit more on steep climbs. I can even tell a difference when I swap the front tire to something with more volume, like a MK/TK 2.4. Again, I'm using a zero stack HS which lowers stack height. But, with a nice fat tire and the Rev at 140mm the bike absolutely rips. I even made the decision that my El Guapo is not needed on most days because this bike is so capable. Little harsh on high speed heavy chunck but once you get used to riding without the cush, its sweet.