mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. Is it easy to remove a spacer from headset?

I have two spacers at the headset. I remember 2 years ago I tried to remove a spacer and I messed up the whole headset. Would you say it's a relatively easy change or should I bring it to a professional?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Yes very easy.

go to the park tools website to learn how the stem, headset, top cap and steerer all go together. Once you have the science down you should have no problems putting it back together again.

offroader
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    rather than removing the spacer (which will require cutting your steerer tube), you can just move the spacer from below the stem to above the stem . Should only take 5 minutes.
    Just make sure you understand how to use the topcap screw to preload your headset bearings (you only snug it, do not overtighten) before tightening up the stem clamp.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    When you remove the spacers from the bottom of the stem you'll need to either add spacers to the top or cut the for steerer down to lower the steer's height. When reinstalling the top cap you will need to have a small gap in between to top cap and the end of the steerer in order for the top cap bolt to compress the fork tightly to the headset.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65