Thread: Dual Sport Trek

mtbr member

Dual Sport Trek

One of my friends is looking to buy a bike to ride on asphalt and unpaved Rail Trails and will spend equal time on both.
    He is in his 40's and weighs about 225 pounds and a sales person was trying to get him to purchase a Hybrid bike. I was thinking more like a Trek Dual Sport with the disc brakes.

I would appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks - Rick

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    When I has looking at bikes a few weeks ago I rode multiple. I also will be riding on pavement and trails as well roughly a 50 / 50 split. I narrowed down my choice to a Trek 8.3 DS and Specialized Hardrock Disc 29'er.

I ultimately went with the Hardrock for one reason.......In my opinion (which probably isn't worth much) a MTB can do everything a hybrid can do on the pavement, and it can do more on the trails when I need it too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollidayslim View Post
    When I has looking at bikes a few weeks ago I rode multiple. I also will be riding on pavement and trails as well roughly a 50 / 50 split. I narrowed down my choice to a Trek 8.3 DS and Specialized Hardrock Disc 29'er.

I ultimately went with the Hardrock for one reason.......In my opinion (which probably isn't worth much) a MTB can do everything a hybrid can do on the pavement, and it can do more on the trails when I need it too.
    Very good response, that is exactly what I was thinking but I did not want my thoughts to over influence the situation, after all, I ride a 29 er.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Very good response, that is exactly what I was thinking but I did not want my thoughts to over influence the situation, after all, I ride a 29 er.

Thanks!
    No problem! Glad I was helpful.

CS2
    mtbr member

I've looked at the 8.5 and really can't see much difference between it and a 29er. At about a grand the 8.5 has nice components. The fork isn't much but for what he's interested in it's fine. Good luck on the search
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I've looked at the 8.5 and really can't see much difference between it and a 29er. At about a grand the 8.5 has nice components. The fork isn't much but for what he's interested in it's fine. Good luck on the search
    I prefer the 29 er even for the road but the bike shop dude was telling my friend the bike is too heavy and the tires are too aggresive.

He may be correct about the tires!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I prefer the 29 er even for the road but the bike shop dude was telling my friend the bike is too heavy and the tires are too aggresive.

He may be correct about the tires!
    He could always get another set of wheels and tires. That is what I am planning on doing as I have decided I am going to commute to work on my Hardrock as well.

mtbr member
    He could always get another set of wheels and tires. That is what I am planning on doing as I have decided I am going to commute to work on my Hardrock as well.

I like that, the 29 er has great speed and moves easily once you start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought the Trek 8.3 DS back in March 2012. Long story short I had the remote lockout fork that is on the Trek 8.5 DS put on my 8.3 DS. I noticed that when I ride the bike with the remote fork on lockout for a long duration the fork slowly compresses as I'm riding so when I stop and unlock the fork it "springs" back up. Also, the remote fork does not totally 100% lock out as there is about 1/4" "give" to it (when I press down it bounces). Are the two things I mentioned normal for the remote lockout fork, or is there something wrong with the fork?

The original 8.3 DS mechanical lockout fork (that comes with the 8.3) seems to 100% lockout and has no "give" to it when I press down on it. And it does not seem to compress as I ride it on lockout. So I was thinking of going back to the mechanical lockout fork that comes with the 8.3 DS because I want the fork to be rigid when I ride it on the pavement.

If you can answer my questions and give me any additional information/advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!