Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Drop Bars

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mikevinw 
#1 ·
I was wondering why I see 29'ers with drop bars but not many 26" wheeled rigs.

I have a Salsa Ala Carte, I've been thinking about putting a wood chipper bar on. I ride a lot of techy single track, but I would like to be able to throw a set of different wheels/tires on and do some road/ dirt road all day rides. (like the hand position options)

So this would be kind of mini-Fargo like. I figure this $300 or so investment is way cheaper than buying a dedicated Vaya or Fargo. Am I crazy to think I would enjoy a swiss army/ one bike fits everything set up?

#2 ·
mikevinw said:
I was wondering why I see 29'ers with drop bars but not many 26" wheeled rigs.

I have a Salsa Ala Carte, I've been thinking about putting a wood chipper bar on. I ride a lot of techy single track, but I would like to be able to throw a set of different wheels/tires on and do some road/ dirt road all day rides. (like the hand position options)

So this would be kind of mini-Fargo like. I figure this $300 or so investment is way cheaper than buying a dedicated Vaya or Fargo. Am I crazy to think I would enjoy a swiss army/ one bike fits everything set up?
The higher head tube of the 29er lends itself very well to drop bars , with the appropriate stem it will work fine on your Ala Carte , I say go for it . FWIW , 700c wheels and road tires most likely will fit on your Ala Carte making for a sweet road set up .

#4 ·
I often ride my cross bike on the trails, not much difference than an Ala Carte with a wood chipper... I have no issues other having to be a little more careful/in control when going downhill, but the ease of going up more than makes up for it! (compared to a full-on mtn bike)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.