Air Pirate

Drop-bar specific frame?

I will be in the market for a new frame to build up soon and I am looking for something that I can use a dirt drop-bar on, preferably something that is designed with use of a drop-bar in mind (tall head tube, shorter top tube.)

I know about the Salsa Fargo and the Singular Gryphon. Is there anything else? I have components stripped from a bike I had set up with drops, so I would like to use what I already have if possible, and that means using some perfectly good 26" wheels, which would rule out getting the Singular or Salsa. I have considered the Surly Troll. If I don't have to go 29er or 650b/27.5 that would be good...but not insurmountable.

The type of riding I would be doing is mix of trail and fire-road in Northern California, but nothing that would be considered race pace, so weight-weenie frames are not necessary. This would be more of an all-rounder type of bike, something that could climb and descend. Provision to throw bags or rack on it would be a bonus.

Hardtail or even full-rigid.

Aluminum, steel, Ti...no carbon fiber. Been riding aluminum in hardtail and full-suspension for years, but not adverse to other metals.

Would like to keep purchase to frame and/or frame & fork...but money is no object here. Anything is possible.

What do you suggest? Spend my money.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Air Pirate
    95 views and nobody has an opinion?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lot's of ideas and discussion on fit here The single consolidated official drop bar thread

mtbr member
    Perhaps have a look at Rawland. No suspension correction, made with 650b in mind but with some wiggle room for 700c and disc versions would fit 26. He may even have some NOS discontinued frame styles, but you'd have to ask him. The Sogn has morphed into the Stag. There used to be a frame called the Drakkar that had track style dropouts like the Troll that would accommodate an RD and disc brakes. Another option would be to look for a 26er version of the Long Haul Trucker. If money is really no object look around for a Bridgestone XO-1, always liked that bike.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    Yes, I've fffound it!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    95 views and nobody has an opinion?
    They probably confused you with me. That means you need an other 100 views.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Perhaps have a look at Rawland. No suspension correction, made with 650b in mind but with some wiggle room for 700c and disc versions would fit 26. He may even have some NOS discontinued frame styles, but you'd have to ask him. The Sogn has morphed into the Stag. There used to be a frame called the Drakkar that had track style dropouts like the Troll that would accommodate an RD and disc brakes. Another option would be to look for a 26er version of the Long Haul Trucker. If money is really no object look around for a Bridgestone XO-1, always liked that bike.
    The Rawlands look interesting...will have to think about those. I like the Ravn due to it's ability to work with 26" or 650b wheels. Does anyone know if those made it to production? Rawland's website absolutely sucks, and doing a google search really doesn't tell me if this is a frame that is available.

I worked at a shop in the 90's that sold Bridgestone (just prior to the company pulling out of the US)...I dont think any of us really knew what we had in the XO-1....should have bought one when it went on closeout!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post

Would like to keep purchase to frame and/or frame & fork...but money is no object here. Anything is possible.

What do you suggest? Spend my money.
    Call Steve Potts.
    End of story.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Call Steve Potts.
    End of story.
    Oooh...didn't think of that....I had a chance to talk to him for a few minutes at the NAHBS when it was in Sacramento...love his frames. The Point Reyes area of Marin is also one of the places I do a lot of riding, so having a Potts would be appropriate.

Will consider...but keep the suggestions coming!

mtbr member
    Seems like the Ravn and Drakkar were being developed around the same time. The Ravn appears to have the same dropouts as the Drakkar, but has a straight top tube vs the sloping one of the Drakkar and is painted in the original fire engine red that the Sogns and Olafs had. I'm not sure if the Ravn made it to production. I would email Sean and ask about the frameset in which you are interested. I don't know what he may have around and I agree that the website is lacking, but I emailed him a while ago about a Sogn and the indication was that he may have some of them around. Unfortunately for me, that build dream has been put off indefinitely for lack of funds.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    Yes, I've fffound it!