sweet!

To drill or not to drill?...

I've been hearing a slight clicking noise from my Hollowtech II external bottom bracket lately, so I removed the bearing cups to inspect them. Much to my surprise, I found a bit of standing water trapped inside the bottom bracket shell, of my On One Scandal frame, So I drained the water, cleaned, greased, and reinstalled my bottom bracket, problem solved, no more noise, however should I drill a small drain hole in my bottom bracket? Or will this void my frame warranty?

Cheers
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I may be wrong, but I would say no on the drilling.

BMX'er getting big wheels
    I think you'd end up letting just as much water in as you do out if you drill a hole in the BB shell, and your warranty would be toast.
    '05 Jamis Komodo
    '85 Toyota Pickup 4x4
    '74 Ford Maverick

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    lots of people drill a drain hole there.. and on top of that, lots of manufacturers give the ok and will keep your warranty in tact.

Former Bike Wrench
    And lots of bikes come from the factory with a hole drilled. The only way a company would void a warranty is if a crack originated from the hole. But if you use a sharp bit, you wont have any issues and you wont void your warranty.

mtbr member
    If you're really worried, call On-One. I'd lay money they'll tell you it's fine.

It's about showing up.

Drainage holes are common.

When I tore down my classic Bontrager Racelite I saw rust in the BB shell. There are weep-holes in different parts of the frame. No one to call. Ruining a classics' perfection? So I buffed it out and put a weephole at the bottom of the BB before I had the new powdercoat done. This is a steel frame, though.

Call On-One.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 08-14-2009 at 09:22 AM.

sweet!
    Thanks Guys for all the input, I emailed One One this morning, and I'm waiting for a reply back. I hope they dont have a problem with me drilling a small 4-5 mm hole in the bottom bracket shell, I've never seen or heard of a frame cracking there anyway.

Cheers
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

sweet!
    Just heard back from On One earlier this evening. Here is what they said, when I ask, if drilling a small drainage hole in the bottom bracket shell will void my warranty.
    "yes, but this makes sense... at 125 for a new frame you could risk it...i assume you are running External BB shells??"
    It's hard for me to believe that if the weld where my top tube meets my head tube were to break, that they wouldn't honor the frame warranty, because I drilled a small 4mm hole in the bottom bracket shell!?!?
    BTW I must be the last of the suckers, because I paid the "full price" (280.00) for the Scandal frame, about 48 hours before they changed the price!!!

Cheers

Former Bike Wrench
    well as a former warranty manager for a large shop, if a frame came in with a cracked head tube weld...I wouldn't even bother to look at the BB shell. So I'm not sure how valid that response is since I doubt they'd even check (unless they remember your e-mail and name when your frame is sent into them )

mtbr member
    If water in the shell was causing a issue with the BB I wouldn't hesitate to put a weep hole in the shell and I cant imagine drilling a hole causing a problem with cracking. If the waters getting in then it needs a way out. It will probably save you money from having to buy a new BB because of corrosion.

sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    well as a former warranty manager for a large shop, if a frame came in with a cracked head tube weld...I wouldn't even bother to look at the BB shell. So I'm not sure how valid that response is since I doubt they'd even check (unless they remember your e-mail and name when your frame is sent into them )
    I know, I was afraid of that, I guess I should have never emailed them. As a clyd. (6'6" 250 lbs, ridinng a 23lb aluminum frame hardtail) I worry about, and regularly inspect my frame for cracks.

Cheers