Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The dreaded which bike?

766 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Agent-Boltron 
#1 ·
Hey All,
Ive been looking to buy a new FS bike. I will probably due mostly trail riding, but the occasional AM thrown in. I would like a bike that could handle smaller jumps and drops, but, also climbs well. I want to ride a few 30+ mile rides a year also.
I am 6', 220lbs and just turned 36. Budget is hopefully no more than 2500.

Some of the bikes I have looked at:
Trek fuel 7,8
Trek Remedy
Specialized Stumpjumper line
Specialized Pitch
Cannondale Rize 4
Santa Cruz Blur LT

I have done the quick parking lot ride on all of these bikes and like the way they all feel?
So I am having a heck of a time deciding.

Please help, also if thier is a bike I shold look at plese feel free to suggest.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are all quality bikes. In having that kind of budget you will get a great bike. The differences between them will be slight. What everyone says and you said you have, is take a test ride. If they all feel great and you really can’t decide, look at other factors: weight, pedals, even color. Try to narrow it down if you can between two, then flip a coin. If you feel you need to re-flip then you know which bike you really want.

P.S. I’d take the Santa Cruz.

#5 ·
I think the first thing you want to do is decide between the 5" Trail Bikes and the 6" AM bikes. Is the extra advantage of that inch on the occasional AM ride worth the extra weight, slacker geometry, and cost of an AM bike?

That should really help cut down the list.
But you should definitely add the Trance X/Reign to the list. I have one, I love it. It's gotten all kinds of love from MTBR and the media. So at the least try one.

I think the Reign series is going to die pretty soon so you may be able to get a good deal on one. And the '09 Trance X2/ '08 Trance X1 is an amazing bike at that price.

#6 ·
Thx for the replies, the Blur and Remedy are probably my top two. I had the best test ride on the Blur, but, I like the travel on the Remedy. The Rize is 3rd, mainly due to REI warranty. As for Giant, I did test a Trance, I liked it just not as much as the others and with my ever growing list, I need reasons to narrow it down. I should give the Reign a chance though.

Thx again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.