Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Good job! Down to Woodstock/Lahar, Exile, Liberator, and Trophy 770....Which One??? Help...

OK, so I am buying my first MTB and want to pick an excellent one 1st go round. Definitely dont want to go over $1K and trying to stay arounf $750ish. So I have narrowed it down to the following after MUCH internet research. I know that I should ride them all and see how they feel to myself, but I cant with most of these. Please give your opinions on which one you would buy, or any others I didnt notice. Thanks!

Was gonna get the Woodstock 505 for $640, but found the Lahar for $601. They have the exact same specs:

'05 Raleigh Lahar - $601
    Grips> Raleigh
    Pedals> Shimano M520 Clipless
    Chain> SRAM PC950
    Chainwheel> 42/32/22
    Frame> 6061 Alloy
    Spokes> 14G Stainless
    Bottom Bracket> Truvative ISIS GigPipe SL
    Brake Levers> Avid FR-5
    Cassette> SRAM PG950 9spd
    Crankset> Truvativ Blaze ISIS Drive
    Fork> Manitou Axel Comp 80 w/LO
    Front Brake> Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
    Front Derailer> Shimano Deore / LX
    Front Hub> WTB Speed Disc
    Handlebar> Answer Pro Taper XC
    Headset> WTB Zero Stack
    Rear Brakes> Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
    Rear Derailer> SRAM X7
    Rear Hub> WTB Speed Disc
    Rims> WTB Dual Duty XC
    Saddle> WTB Lazer V Comp
    Seatpost> Truvativ XR
    Shifters> SRAM X7 Impulse Trigger
    Stem> Truvativ XR
    Tires> WTB Weirwolf 26

'05 Airborne Liberator - $830 With Pedals
    Grips> Bontrager Race Dual Compound
    Chain> 05 Shimano 105 / LX CN-HG-73 9spd
    Chainwheel> 44/32/22
    Frame> 6061 Aluminum
    Spokes>
    Bottom Bracket> Included in Crankset
    Brake Levers> 05 Shimano Deore ST BR-M585 Hydraulic
    Cassette> 05 Shimano Deore LX CS-M580 11-32 9spd
    Crankset> Shimano LX FC-M580 Integrated External BB
    Fork> RockShox Pilot XC
    Front Brake> 05 Shimano Deore LX BR-M585 Hydraulic
    Front Derailer> 05 Shimano Deore LX RD-M580
    Front Hub> Bontrager Select ATB Disc Wheelset
    Handlebar> Airborne Flyte
    Headset> FSA Orbit Z
    Rear Brakes> 05 Shimano Deore LX BR-M585 Hydraulic
    Rear Derailer> 05 Shimano Deore LX RD-M580 SGS
    Rear Hub> Bontrager Select ATB Disc Wheelset
    Rims> Bontrager Select ATB Disc Wheelset
    Saddle> Selle Italia C2
    Seatpost> Bontrager Race20
    Shifters> 05 Shimano Deore LX ST-M585 Dual Control
    Stem> Eaton EA50 Riser
    Tires> Bontrager Jones ACX

'05 Ibex Trophy 770 Disc - $700
    Grips> WTB DC Trial
    Chain> KMC Z9000 Super Narrow
    Chainwheel> 44/32/22
    Frame> 6061 Aluminum
    Spokes> 14G Stainless
    Bottom Bracket> Truvative ISIS GigPipe SL
    Brake Levers> Avid SD-5
    Cassette> SRAM PG970 9spd
    Crankset> Truvativ Firex SX
    Fork> Marzocchi EXR Pro Air 85
    Front Derailer> Shimano Deore
    Front Hub> Shimano M475
    Handlebar> Truvative XR Flat Bar
    Headset> FSA Orbit DL Threadless
    Rear Brakes > Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
    Rear Derailer > Shimano LX
    Rear Hub > Shimano M475
    Rims> Sun DS2-XC
    Saddle> WTB Pure V Sport
    Seatpost> Truvativ XR
    Shifters> Shimano Deore Rapidfire
    Stem> Truvative XR
    Tires> Kenda Koyote 26

'05 Jamis Exile - $850
    Grips> WTB DC Trail
    Pedals> Shimano M505 Clipless
    Chain> KMC CN-HG-73
    Chainwheel > 42/32/22
    Frame> Reynolds 520 Chromoly
    Spokes> 14G Stainless
    Bottom Bracket > Truvative ISIS GigPipe SL
    Brake Levers> Avid FR-5
    Cassette> SRAM Powerglide 2 7.0 9spd
    Crankset> Truvative FireX LR
    Fork> Manitou Axel Super 80 w/LO
    Front Derailer > SRAM X7
    Front Hub > Shimano M475
    Handlebar> Truvative XR Flat Bar
    Headset> Cane Creek Aheadset STS
    Rear Brakes> Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
    Rear Derailer> SRAM X7
    Rear Hub> Shimano M475
    Rims> Alex TD17 Disc
    Saddle> WTB Speed V Comp
    Seatpost> Truvative XR
    Shifters> SRAM X7 Impulse Trigger
    Stem> Truvative XR
    Tires> Hutchinson Bulldog Airlight 26

Thanks for any help you can provide. Take care!
    Last edited by ndisgii; 07-29-2005 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anyone? I need to make up my mind by the beginning of the week! Thanks!

mtbr member
    I bought my first mountainbike earlier this year. I settled on an Ibex Trophy 880 Disc. I've been 100% satisfied with it so far. So if I were you I'd probably go with the Trophy 770. For the money you can't really beat it. Ibex bikes are good quality and they got great customer service. Plus if you buy from Ibex theres no sales tax.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    I bought my first mountainbike earlier this year. I settled on an Ibex Trophy 880 Disc. I've been 100% satisfied with it so far. So if I were you I'd probably go with the Trophy 770. For the money you can't really beat it. Ibex bikes are good quality and they got great customer service. Plus if you buy from Ibex theres no sales tax.
    Thanks for the input. The 770 does look awesome, but so do all the other ones...lol...I am pretty sure I would escape sales tax on all of them, because any of them would be ordered online. Such a tough choice. I am currently leaning towards the Liberator mainly becuase of the fact that it has the newer External Bearing BB crank setup as well as a good set of components (not quite as good as the Woodstock/Lahar, but good none-the-less), and it looks bad-ass! But on that note, I have read on here that the finish on the Liberator, as good as it looks, wears off pretty easily, so I dunno?? I also aint too big on hydraulic brakes, so I was thinking that I could sell the hydraulic setup on the Liberator and get a very lightweight VBrake setup. I am not a racer or hard core rider, so VBrakes would work fine. Any other opinions? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I do 99% of my bike part purchases online or from faceless shops with online presence. So i am no fan of LBS (local bike shops). I know what seat post length and toptube length i like and the range i am comfortable in. I know what headtube angle will do for the type of riding i am gearing a bike towards. So i am comfortable in buying stuff i have never seen just based on its specs.

I see the words "my first mtb" in your post. Online prices are attractive but you will gain a lot in actually walking into a shop and being able to ride, heft (seeing how heavy it really is), and be correctly fitted to the right bike. Riding a bike that "fits" will add a lot to your experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I do 99% of my bike part purchases online or from faceless shops with online presence. So i am no fan of LBS (local bike shops). I know what seat post length and toptube length i like and the range i am comfortable in. I know what headtube angle will do for the type of riding i am gearing a bike towards. So i am comfortable in buying stuff i have never seen just based on its specs.

I see the words "my first mtb" in your post. Online prices are attractive but you will gain a lot in actually walking into a shop and being able to ride, heft (seeing how heavy it really is), and be correctly fitted to the right bike. Riding a bike that "fits" will add a lot to your experience.
    Thanks for the input. I have been to the LBS a few times, and have ridden a Trek and a Gary Fisher which have different rides according to most. To be honest, I dont really notice much of a difference at all, which is why I think I'd do ok with buying a better spec'd/built bike, no matter what geometry it has. They tend to feel all similar to me. Do you have any input about which of the bikes you would choose. It is actually now down to the Raleigh/Woodstock, Liberator, and 770 Disc. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ndisgii
    ..... They tend to feel all similar to me. ..
    You are probably right, generally most bikes follow the 73/71 (seatpost/head angle) geometry with maybe some changes in toptube lengths corrected by a shorter stem.

By virtue of being the most expensive bike the Liberator sounds like the nicer bike. It has a crankset where not much can be gained by an upgrade and hydro brakes (the Avids on the other bikes are still very nice and might be easier to deal with in the long run). Although we still have a hung jury on the dual control shifter/levers I think since this is your first bike you will not have a bias against them.

Being the second most expensive I'd say the Ibex is in second place and probably has the best fork in the group.

mtbr member
    if your gonna swap hydraulic discs for v-brakes then make sure your wheels are v-brake compatible. some wheels cant be used with v-brakes! also make sure the fork has v-brake mounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    You are probably right, generally most bikes follow the 73/71 (seatpost/head angle) geometry with maybe some changes in toptube lengths corrected by a shorter stem.

By virtue of being the most expensive bike the Liberator sounds like the nicer bike. It has a crankset where not much can be gained by an upgrade and hydro brakes (the Avids on the other bikes are still very nice and might be easier to deal with in the long run). Although we still have a hung jury on the dual control shifter/levers I think since this is your first bike you will not have a bias against them.

Being the second most expensive I'd say the Ibex is in second place and probably has the best fork in the group.
    Thanks once again! This is the kind of info I am looking for. I am still undecided on whether or not to bother with hydraulic/disc brakes or not, seems like it could be potential for problems and is definitely on the heavier side vs V-Brakes, so I may want to switch it out on any of these bikes. Are disc brakes that much better than say the Avis Single Digit SL or SD7 VBrakes and levers? Take care!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    if your gonna swap hydraulic discs for v-brakes then make sure your wheels are v-brake compatible. some wheels cant be used with v-brakes! also make sure the fork has v-brake mounts.
    Thank you! I plan on giving all the companies a ring to day with a few questions, and I'll be sure to ask them about the things you mentioned. Much appreciated! Take care!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    looks like you and i are on the same mission. i've been looking at the Woodstock 505, IbexTrophy 770, Iron Horse Warrior Expert. i've been trying to wittle it down to one, now i'm looking at the others you've listed lol.
    one thing for me is the disc brakes are a must. i ride where it is sandy, wet and or muddy. i've test rode hydro and mech discs and they are so much better. couldn't really tell much difference between the hycro and mech though.

all that said if most every thing is equal, go with the best shock (suggested to me).
    good luck. post your decision

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BadTime
    looks like you and i are on the same mission. i've been looking at the Woodstock 505, IbexTrophy 770, Iron Horse Warrior Expert. i've been trying to wittle it down to one, now i'm looking at the others you've listed lol.
    one thing for me is the disc brakes are a must. i ride where it is sandy, wet and or muddy. i've test rode hydro and mech discs and they are so much better. couldn't really tell much difference between the hycro and mech though.

all that said if most every thing is equal, go with the best shock (suggested to me).
    good luck. post your decision
    Its so hard to decide. I just got to work...time to make some calls. I just checked out the Warrior Expert and it doesnt seem to have as good component level as the others and it didnt get near the good reviews as the others either, but if you can get a smokin deal on one, thats different. I am currently down to the Raleigh Lahar ($601) / Woodstock 505 ($640) which are the same, Airborne Liberator ($800 w/o pedals), or the Ibex 770 Disc ($700). Man this is tough...lol...

PS - Best shock between the 3 would probably be the Ibex with the Marzocchi which is usually liked very much, but all of them are lower end shocks, so I dunno??

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    just got an email from woodstock the 505 weighs about 24lbs according to them. just using it as a general guideline. it makes it pretty light for the price. i don't see a big enough difference in the $800 bikes to make it worth it.

only thing about the disc brakes, where i ride the discs are actually less trouble (once dialed in).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BadTime
    just got an email from woodstock the 505 weighs about 24lbs according to them. just using it as a general guideline. it makes it pretty light for the price. i don't see a big enough difference in the $800 bikes to make it worth it.

only thing about the disc brakes, where i ride the discs are actually less trouble (once dialed in).
    Thanks for that info. I have been trying to call them, but cannot get an answer. I'll try again, as it is the last place to call. I am baffled by the claimed 24lb weight. If that is true, I dont understand how. It now looks like I'm either getting the Raleigh Lahar or the Woodstock. I also cant justify the additional money. The Ibex is $100 more if you add shipping, and the liberator is $240 more after adding shipping. I dont want to deal with possible hydraulic problems either. I just love the way the frame of the Liberator looks, but I'm not sure if its worth $240...lol...

So Lahar or Woodstock? What I dont understand is that I talked to the person selling the Lahar (which is supposed to be the SAME bike as the Woodstock), and she told me it weighed 31.5 lbs. How is that and the Woodstock only weighs 24lbs? I aint buying it...lol...I can get the Lahar for and the Woodstock for basically the same price. This sucks....lol....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i agree, especially when the trophy is listed at 26.6. i know that they usually weigh the smallest frame. still that seems low. maybe nudging it with a toe. woodstock is the one i'm currently leaning toward. i just hate it when my friends show up the the other bike i was considering and it is so much better. lol

mtbr member
    24lbs for that 505 is definately optomistic. I would think it would be more like 26 or 27lbs.

Looks like all the bikes your interested in have mechanical disc brakes except for the Liberator. If your a beginner it would be a very good idea to have disc brakes. They will give you consistent braking in pretty much any conditions unlike v-brakes. If your bombing a hill and its wet and muddy you don't want v-brakes! Mechanical discs are pretty much trouble free unlike hydralics that need to be bleed.

Another bike you might want to check out if you havent already is the Ironhorse Rogue. Supergo has em for only $550 and it has pretty much the same components as the other bikes your interested in. After tax and shipping it would be a little over $600 but thats still an awesome deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    WELL....I bit the bullet just now and ordered the Woodstock 505 . I got ahold of Jimmy on the phone, and he couldnt have been any nicer and helpfull. He did tell me the same thing on the weight at approx 24-25lbs, but I'm not holding my breath. Besides I got the 19"er which I'm sure weighs a little more than the smaller 15.5" and 17.5" models. I'll let you guys know how much it weighs when its fully assembled later this week. I'm guessing in the upper 20s like 29ish, but maybe I'll be surprised?? NOW, if I could just find a way to strip the paint off and polish the frame to a chromelike finish...lol...get the looks in check and shave a few grams at the same time... . I have gooton alot of positive feedback on the disc brakes today, so I'll probably keep them, but time will tell. Thanks for all the input guys! Peace!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i ended up ordering the 505 also. hope it works out for you. i hate the waiting as much as anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I had a one day hold up b/c of a UPS screwup, but it is sitting here beside me now at work, waiting to be taken home and assembled... . I'll weigh it as soon as I get finished with assembly, but keep in mind, it is the 19"er, so it may be a pound or so more??

Badtime, what size did you end up going with? Peace!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i got the 19" also. i ordered mine at 9:00 am yesterday and got it around noon today (actually faster than if i had overnighted it. all for free. i'll take awhile to get over that). got it together and am messing with getting it tuned. the old shock pump from a friend is toast. had to get another. trying to figure out a way to weigh it accurately (thats right no scale). tommorrow i see if i can break it.

let me know how yours works out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    OK...so I got it together and tested it out. First of all, I have never ridden a mountain bike before, so I really cant compare it to anything out there, but it seems to be very well made and it rides very nicely IMO. Now the bad news kinda. It weighed in at 31lbs multiple times! That pretty much certifies my opinion that it is the same as the Raleigh Lahar which I was told weighed 31.5 on a scale. This matches that to a tee! That kinda sucks, but does weight really matter that much? Im kinda bummed on the weight thing, but dont know if I should be or not?? It has a 30 day return policy that I am considering, but I dont know what to do. Should I worry about the weight? It has such an impressive component set! Peace!

PS - Today, I also bought my girlfriend a '06 Trek 820 for $240. It is a entry model with a STEEL frame that only weighs in at 34lbs ...lol...wtf.....kinda pisses me off seeing that I spent $600 and saved 3 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the weight isn't so bad to me, because my first road bike that i rode for 10 yrs was just over 30 lbs.
    i wonder about my front fork being really sticky. i think that will take care of itself on the first ride. i really need to decide if i want new platform pedals or new clipless shoes. some of the trails i can't picture going on with my feet locked in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My fork was sticky too, but it loosened up a tad even on my short little test excursion. As for pedals, I am not a clipless person, so I will end up with platform pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ok, i rode my new 505. it rained all night and i was a little wary of riding the trails wet. (probably the closest to seattle i will get with out riding there) it took some getting used to, wet gator backs and wet sand, mud and all the new debris from dennis.
    i think i have it more or less broke in. now for some final adjustments. that all said it handled every thing very well. i need to adjust some but a great ride never the less. i did have one bit of excitement. i uploaded the image from my phone. probably not very good. just to show that rain and huge a** spiders can change any ones riding. bike came through all right and got me back to the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Glad to hear all is ok! Is that a spider showing in the pic just at the bottom of the wooden boards? If so....damn...I hate spiders with a passion! I like the bike alot myself, but want a lightweight and might spend a little more to get it! I am eyeballing a few things right now, mainly ebay stuff! It looks like I can build a 19-20lb all new components bike for approx $900 maybe $1K. It will involve a little buying and selling, but might be worth it and it will allow me to get my hands dirty in the world of bike-building! May just do it. I called Jimmy back and told him the scenario, and he totally understands and was gladly willing to exchange me a smaller frame that weighs a hair less and would fit me a hair better, or give me a refund no questions asked! AWESOME! I'll be giving it some thought over the weekend. Peace!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast