Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you prefer decals or no decals on your frame?

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ducktape 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of sanding my bike frame down to give it a new color. Do you like the clean look with no decals or with?

#2 ·
I like minimal decals. Most bikes (Specialized, I'm looking at you) these days are overbearing with decals and designs and paint but when you have a single color bike with no decals it can look a bit cheap. It's not always the case but it's something to be aware of. A simple downtube decal can really change the look of a frame and it's usually the only thing needed.

If you can't decide, photoshop it and find out.

#3 ·
a cheap frame is a cheap frame though. i wouldn't want to try and make a cheap frame look better by putting a decal on it. take for example my 08 c'dale f5 made in taiwan frame. it's a cheap but decent frame but when i first got it 4 to 5 years ago it came with way too many decals, and c'dale was trying to make a cheaper frame look more expensive. just the other day i started sanding the whole frame down decals and all, and i like it basically because it's not trying to be something it's not. if i had a more expensive frame, like some of the made in US steel frames i'm liking by the independent workers, they tend to not kill the frame with lots of decals but just a few on the downtube.

#7 ·
Yes a heat gun will remove most decals pretty good. Then follow up with goo gone and alcohol for the last bit of leftover residue. I myself like some decals but not a lot. I just finished my knolls chilcotin build and love the black on black decals because it has some but not really crazy noticeable.

#14 ·
I prefer no decals, in some ways I figure if it looks more plain it's less likely to get stolen, hmmmm but maybe it's the same if it stands out and is unique, I don't know. All I can say is that if it comes with decals and they're easy to remove I'll remove them, it they're clearcoated or etched then I'll leave them or think about repainting or rawing the whole frame a few years down the track particularly if I get tired of the colour (anything other than black or sliver lol) or if I'm bored and just can't help myself.

Repainting a frame I wouldn't go to the trouble of buying replacement decals or anything, I would consider some stickers but as long as I could easitly remove them if I changed my changeable mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.