mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Do you prefer decals or no decals on your frame?

I'm in the process of sanding my bike frame down to give it a new color. Do you like the clean look with no decals or with?

Picture Unrelated
    I like minimal decals. Most bikes (Specialized, I'm looking at you) these days are overbearing with decals and designs and paint but when you have a single color bike with no decals it can look a bit cheap. It's not always the case but it's something to be aware of. A simple downtube decal can really change the look of a frame and it's usually the only thing needed.

If you can't decide, photoshop it and find out.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I like minimal decals. Most bikes (Specialized, I'm looking at you) these days are overbearing with decals and designs and paint but when you have a single color bike with no decals it can look a bit cheap. It's not always the case but it's something to be aware of. A simple downtube decal can really change the look of a frame and it's usually the only thing needed.

If you can't decide, photoshop it and find out.
    a cheap frame is a cheap frame though. i wouldn't want to try and make a cheap frame look better by putting a decal on it. take for example my 08 c'dale f5 made in taiwan frame. it's a cheap but decent frame but when i first got it 4 to 5 years ago it came with way too many decals, and c'dale was trying to make a cheaper frame look more expensive. just the other day i started sanding the whole frame down decals and all, and i like it basically because it's not trying to be something it's not. if i had a more expensive frame, like some of the made in US steel frames i'm liking by the independent workers, they tend to not kill the frame with lots of decals but just a few on the downtube.

mtbr member
    I like no decals. I once had a Litespeed road bike and spent hours and hours heating and scrubbing the decal off.

mtbr member
    SO a heat gun works best for removing factory decals?
    maybe heat and goof off...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    No decals. If your going through all of the trouble of repainting your bike why would you want to cover it up with stickers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Yes a heat gun will remove most decals pretty good. Then follow up with goo gone and alcohol for the last bit of leftover residue. I myself like some decals but not a lot. I just finished my knolls chilcotin build and love the black on black decals because it has some but not really crazy noticeable.

mtbr member
    I like decals as opposed to a naked, decal-less frame. I suffer from long-term memory issues and often have to look down to remind myself what I'm riding.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    That depends of they are cleared over or not.

Both my bikes, the decals are cleared over.
    If that is the case, removing them will involve sanding the frame down and repainting.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i'm almost to the point where i need to pick out a paint. going with matte black. what do you guys recommend, the rustoleum matte?

mtbr member
    Ya, I noticed the frame decals were clearcoated on...but I think I can remove the fork decals..then even if I have to sand and paint the forks...way easier than the whole bike lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    That depends of they are cleared over or not.

Both my bikes, the decals are cleared over.
    If that is the case, removing them will involve sanding the frame down and repainting.
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Not only decal free but when I had my frame dipped in prep to have it powder coated I fell in love with the nude look so I kept it that way

It's going on 4 years now and I still love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you prefer decals or no decals on your frame?-simple.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Less is more. So I prefer decals only in the head tube for minimalist look.

I AM I AM
    I prefer no decals, in some ways I figure if it looks more plain it's less likely to get stolen, hmmmm but maybe it's the same if it stands out and is unique, I don't know. All I can say is that if it comes with decals and they're easy to remove I'll remove them, it they're clearcoated or etched then I'll leave them or think about repainting or rawing the whole frame a few years down the track particularly if I get tired of the colour (anything other than black or sliver lol) or if I'm bored and just can't help myself.

Repainting a frame I wouldn't go to the trouble of buying replacement decals or anything, I would consider some stickers but as long as I could easitly remove them if I changed my changeable mind.