mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Do I face a Surly Frame?

I read mixed reports as to whether I need to have the head tube and BB faced on a surly frame. I clipped this from the surly web. Im planning to buy a troll frame next spring. Any thoughts on this?
    From SURLY:
    Since Surly frames are faced prior to painting, it is possible to shave the paint off the head tube and BB shell ends with a carpet knife blade. This usually results in an acceptable result, saving you money, but we still recommend having it done the proper way to ensure longest life from your components.

mtbr member

Re: Do I face a Surly Frame?

So, on my second surly. For one of them, I've shaved the paint off and have been ok. Although, with my karate monkey I have had what I might consider an early bottom bracket failure. Approximately 1300 miles on a deore level bottom bracket. Is this from an out of alignment face on the bb shell? Don't know. Or is this normal lifespan of a deore bb. Dry conditions btw.

My Krampus was another story. The bottom bracket threads were so bad that it had to have the threads chased. It was faced also. My lbs only wanted 5 bucks to do it, so no big deal. The owner was there and did it himself so maybe he was being nice. I don't think that rate was normal shop rate for that procedure.

I have not had any headset issues on either.

So you could just give it a try. My worst failure (unknown why really as it does have approx 1300 miles) has been a new bb (xt level this time) now for 22 bucks from Amazon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FWIW I never chase or face any frames when I build them up. Mainly because I am always too excited to take the bike to the shop an hour away because I just want to start building.

And I always seem to end up having to take the bike into the shop a couple weeks later to have it faced. lol

So if you get excited about new bikes like a kid (like I do) and can't help yourself... build it up. But if you're more mature than I am, I would have it chased and faced first.

mtbr member
    I've built up a few Surly frames, and I'd suggest doing it. At the least use a razor blade and some fine grit sandpaper on a wooden block to get it down to the metal again. If you have the ability to do it or have it done, do it before building your frame up. It's much easier to bring a frame to the shop, and a lot less work if you haven't already built it up.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

AZ
    banned
    Always.

mtbr member
    Never.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OK, now I looked at prices online at different bike shops. It looks like if I buy the frame and headset and brackets and berings from the LBS, Ill be lookin' at maybe $50 total for facing and pressing in the berings in the top if I buy the berings and stem from them. If I had known we are talking that much money, I wouldnt have asked. I was thinking it was much more money. Ill go ahead and have all that done, if its only fifty bucks,and not think another thing about it.
    Looking foreward to getting back home and ordering and building this troll