mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Do all XC hardtails climb the same?

I'm in the market for another bike. I have a full suspension bike that is gonna be sold very soon. On the trails that i ride it doesn't do very well, it sucks at climbing and is a little small for me. I realize now that i never should have bought it but it was a good deal. I want to go back to a hardtail and need something that's strong and climbs very well. So do all hardtails climb the same or is there something I should look for? Like a certain geometry (head angles, chainstay lengths, etc.) I prefer to push big gears and mash up hills so i need something pretty rigid and can handle lots of power. My price range is about $800 give or take a few bucks. Any recommendations?

mbtr member
    of course they don't all climb the same. Do all left shoes fit the same?

If you like to push big gears, you might be happier with a slightly slacker seat angle. If you like to stand, you might be happier with a longer reach and shorter chain stays, seated, longer stays are going to be much more manageable. If you want stiff, look for large diameter tubes. It's all a package though, so you can't pick out one number and know everything about a frame because of that.

Riding a too-small frame sucks.

AZ
    banned
    scottzg nailed it , there are so many variables that you just have to ride as many as you can until you figure out what you like.