mtbr member
    Jul 2011

DJ/XC hybrid bike

Hey guys, I've been riding bmx for the last 6 or 7 years and i'm ready to move on to some newer, bigger (literally) things. First of all i DO NOT want a 26" bmx bike, meaning no slammed seat, super tight geometry, etc, or else I'd just stick with my 20" That being said though i do want something that will feel slightly similar and be pretty aggressive. I've ridden full suspension freeride/ trail bikes and don't like how plush and slow they feel, so i'll probably keep it hardtail. My price range is pretty open, i'd say under 4000. So far I've been looking at the yeti DJ, GT La Bomba, Transition Bank, and Giant STP. I'm really open to any new ideas or opinions on any of these bikes. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey ksquared,
    So you're looking for something like an all mountain hardtail?
    Plenty of frames to choose from, and lots of threads arguing about which one's the best. It seems to be generally agreed that steel, titanium and carbon are best for hardtails. For four thousand dollars though you might want to go custom. Triton seems to do a good job but there are plenty of builders out there. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks, obviously i don't want to throw out my money, so i dont think i'd go the custom route, i just don't really want to be super constricted by my budget. i've kinda been thinking more the 4x route rather then an all mountain hardtail, but i'm open to anything! how do you think one would feel at a pump track or mellow set of trails (again, trails as in dirt jumps)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ah, okay.
    4X bikes would probably work great, though most don't really have enough seat tube for seated pedaling without a really long seat post. An option would be to just run a different seat post for more XC stuff, but the bike might feel kind of short.

A lot of people find AM hard tails work pretty well for park and DJ. The geo is designed to attempt to balance jumps and drops and such, with a long enough cockpit and seatpost for climbing. Not saying that AM hard tails are going to be what you need, just that you shouldn't over look them.

Try to demo and test ride every bike you can, just to get a better idea of what geometry works for what you're looking for. A slopestyle, 4X, or DJ bike might be what works for you, but so might an AM hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you so much for your help! That's my next step is to find a place where i can demo some of the bikes i've been looking at. I just found the Trek Ticket and really like it. Looks like it's got a decently high standover hight for being a DJ bike and it's obviously a 9 speed. I'm just gonna keep looking around and hopefully demo some bikes through fall and then purchase something early spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Trek Ticket looks good. When you demo the bikes make sure to see how it feels set up for proper leg extension. Good luck with your search, and let us know what you pick.