GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011

Disk Brake Compatible?

I'm looking at a 2004-2005 Merida Matts Sport-500, it currently has an Avid Juicy 3 on the front and a V on the back. I am buying over the internet and would like to know if I can upgrade the rear one.

Thanks for any help

T.W.O
    Errrrrrr I can't tell because the older models have rim brakes and the newer models have disk. Obviously you can put disk brakes up front because most MTN forks have the adapters. You just need to look in the back of the bike (seatstay) to see if there is a screw hole for your brake adapter to go.

Freshly Fujified

Email the seller and ask

That would be the quickest way to find out. FWIW, I'd find it hard to conceive that any company building a hardtail MTB frame in 2004/05 wouldn't have disc tabs on the frame.

Let us know what you find out.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I'd find it hard to conceive that any company building a hardtail MTB frame in 2004/05 wouldn't have disc tabs on the frame.
    Plenty of different bikes from those years that were what you might call 'bottom rung of the ladder' didn't have disc tabs on the frames.

This says the 04 model had a disc frame, but it's a bit hard to see in the photo if it actually has .

The 05 model definately looks like it'd have disc mounts because of the bracing between the seat and chain stays.

Last edited by cobba; 04-23-2011 at 05:19 AM.