mtbr member
    Apr 2009

disc brakes on trek 3700

i have an 04' trek 3700 and im looking to put front and rear disc brakes on it. I am planning on replacing the RST shocks with a rock shox Dart so i know i can mount the front caliper to that, but does anyone know if i will be able to mount the rear caliper to this frame. The bike also has the shimano gear shifts and levers combined, I am assuming i am going to have to replace them as well. Also does any one have an opinion on if it is even worth switching from linear-pull brakes to the disc brakes???

~Disc~Golf~
    Do you have caliper mounting tabs on that frame? If not, you're going to need a disc brake adapter $100-150
    you are also going to have to get disc hubs. ~$120

you don't have to change the levers if you get mechanicals - Avid BB7s are the best. ~$130

Whether you want to spend $300-400 (my rough minimum estimate) on that bike to get a decent disc brake set-up is up to you

*edit - I forgot to add labor for building the wheels and possible (likely) need for spokes, and cables
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-14-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Do you have caliper mounting tabs on that frame? If not, you're going to need a disc brake adapter $100-150
    you are also going to have to get disc hubs. ~$120
    Trek makes a disc adapter for the frame, runs like $14 at a Trek LBS. That really only leaves the wheels to overcome, but they can be had cheaply enough, depending on what you want. Other issue is the front fork, the SR Suntour that the 3700 comes with doesn't have disc tabs.

I converted a GF Tarpon, which is essentially the same bike to rigid front (Surly 1x1) and BB7's, and didn't have $250 in the full conversion, but that was doing some price shopping. I think the most $ was in the BB7's

spec4life???..smh...
    The fact is its just not worth it...your going to wind up having well over half of what you paid for the bike, maybe even as much after fork, wheels, hubs, and the brakes themselves...The best thing for you to do is pick up a pair of Kool Stop brake pads...

I put a set of these on my hardrock and you can really tell a huge difference in stopping power...Heres a link

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/111...Brake-Pads.htm

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew
    Trek makes a disc adapter for the frame, runs like $14 at a Trek LBS.
    Interesting...
    you don't happen to have a link for that do you?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Interesting...
    you don't happen to have a link for that do you?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/disco-tech-is-disc-mount-2002-onwards-ec012048

Photo of one installed: http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/uploads/1207794682/med_gallery_2403_239_62274.jpg

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^well, that looks pretty cool - too bad they wont work on my old 'hopper

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    The fact is its just not worth it...your going to wind up having well over half of what you paid for the bike, maybe even as much after fork, wheels, hubs, and the brakes themselves...The best thing for you to do is pick up a pair of Kool Stop brake pads...
    I dunno. You shop right you still have a great bike at a price point that's low. You have to jump to the 4300 in the Trek line to get factory discs, and they're M315 Shimano mechs.

I've got maybe $500 in this one including the bike. I use it commuting: