mtbr member
    Feb 2008

disappointment in bike

Grrrr... I am disappointed with my bike! I ended up with ( long story short ) a 2010 Gary Fisher Tassajara frame, with all HooKooEKoo components and frok. Spent a long time saving up for a decent bike, and finally bought one last spring, and now it has developed a squeak-creak sound coming from somewhere areound the disc brakes or fork. The LBS adjusted the brakes for me which stopped the noise for about 20 minutes. When I was at the LBS another customer told me his Gary Fisher does the same thing, as well as his friend's Gary Fisher. I have read a few other posts about having difficulties fixing a sound such as this. Does anyone else have a problem with their Gary Fishers doing this? The sound is so annoying that I am contemplating buying a different brand of bike next spring even though I will have lost out on so much money after buying the Gary Fisher. Any opinions and suggestions or knowledge with getting the problem remedied? Thank you. -- Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's not the Gary Fisher causing the sound. It's a component on the bike that is causing it. As with all problems, find the source and fix it.
    Remove the front disc and ride it around the parking lot and listen for the sound. If it's there, try a different fork if you can. Then move on from there.
    "The squeaky wheel get's the grease"

mtbr member
    That sound has nothing to do with the brand of bike.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The-one1 -- Thats a good point and good advice. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me! -- Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It is very hard to isolate creaks. It may sound like it is coming from your fork or brake, but it could also be your headset, stem or wheel. Make sure you headset is adjusted properly and make sure your stem bolts are torqued properly. Sometimes creaks can come from dirty dropouts. Remove the wheel and clean the dropouts, you can even put a small amount of oil or grease in there, wipe off any excess.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

T.W.O.
    The hardest thing to do is to find and fix your first creak. Once you know how to fix the first one the rest gets easier. It's difficult I know we ride in a dusty, sandy terrain when it get traps between components it creates a very annoying noise.

My first creaks that I fix is on the saddle clamp some dust gathered, took it out clean it grease it, good as new, then the BB/crank same problem and so on.

mtbr member
    You have a good ride w/a Tass frame and parts from a Hoo Koo. Nothing to complain about there.

Squeaks are annoying. My Stumpjumper began squeaking suddenly on a ride two weeks ago. I haven't yet circled back to diagnose the problem. Very likely it is a simple thing to fix, but isolating the source is the tough part. Worst case, I might need to replace a suspension bearing or have shock serviced.

One time I fixed a guy's squeaking bike by having him tighten up his seatpost clamp. Sometimes the root problem really is something that simple. Please don't feel that there is anything wrong with your frame or your parts. Something is probably just loose or dirty or needs to be greased.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good advice you all have given. Thank you. Gives me high hopes of being able to enjoy my bike again real soon after some trial and error isolation maintenance work!

backwoods and backwards
    Good advice, yes, but be REALLY CAREFUL with the lube on the front end near the brake. Any lube contaminating the brake pads and you'll need to replace them. Good idea to clean the rotors after doing the work, before you apply the brakes ( rubbing alcohol will work ). And avoid the rookie mistake of using WD40 on your ride. You really should own chain lube, greese, and anti-seize.
    parktool.com will walk you through any repair you might want to attempt.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

No good in rock gardens..
    Most MTB's will develop a noise at some stage, somewhere on them.

Yours could be as simple as the front brake caliper needing a bit of shimming to line it up correctly. Does the noise happen it you lift the front wheel off the ground, and spin the wheel? Or is it when you are applying torque on the bars / front end?

Often, noises can originate in one place but sound like they are coming from another.

More detail on when this is happening will help us diagnose the cause and the cure.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So is it a continuous noise or something that happens when you get on the brakes? My brakes use to squeal a lot for the first couple hundred miles. Adjusted them twice and the noise eventually went away. Just throwing this out there... but if everything else you check doesn't work then check your seatpost. Apply a very thin amount of grease on your seatpost if it doesn't have any. Both of my bikes developed a creaking sound but you would have never have guessed it was from the seatpost if you heard it.

mtbr member
    Thats when you turn up your mp3. lol. I have had so many noises on my bikes they drive me crazy but once you find it and fix it you always know what to listen for.
    What kind of brakes do you have?

1 The back wheel
    2 The front wheel
    3 The cassette
    4 The cables
    5 The seat
    6 The stem
    7 The fork
    8 The headset
    9 the brakes