mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Dirt Jumper for taller people

I'm looking around to pick up a Dirt Jumper… front suspension. I was looking at the Diamond Back Assault. Currently, I ride a SC Nomad, XL frame for free ride and jumping. I'm 6'3" and about 195 lbs, and I worry that most DJ bikes will be small for me. Hoping somebody out there has had some experience here and can steer me in a good direction.

mtbr member
    Hi I ride a DJ and am your size. 6'3" & 195lbs. The frame I ride is built by Oscar at Simple Bicycle Company, out of Portland, OR. He mostly builds custom frames but has a line of production DJ frames that he makes for people who want them. They are very nice frames. I was out blasting doubles on mine yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice, are those online anywhere?

I was checking out the DiamondBack Assault and thought those looked nice. Hadn't done much research beyond that.

mtbr member
    I don't think Oscars frames are available for purchase online. His website is under construction. You'd have to hunt down his contact info and see what he's got going on.

Transition bikes makes a frame called the PBJ

Santa Cruz makes the Jackal, their DJ frame.

Lots of companies are making DJ frames, make sure to get their largest frame, generally an XL or in Santa Cruz the L.

That Diamondback looks spec'd well but only comes in one size - a 22" TT. which is in effect a Medium frame. It would be too small for you or me. You should be looking for frames that have around a 24" TT. The L Jackal has a 23.5" TT The Transition PBJ in Large has the longest, at 23.9" TT. Giant makes the STP which in Large has a 23" TT

Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cool, thanks. Good info to know. The Transition PBJ looks nice. I know I like SC stuff, but may just try to NOT buy another SC bike