mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Dirt Jumper for Single Track?

Hi there, I'm looking for a new bike to ride on some trails, and to commute a bit. It will mainly be used on singletrack. For some reason, there are a TON of p2's and other dirt jumper bikes for sale in my area. I"m wondering if I can get one of these to use on the single track, etc. I like the idea, because for a reasonable price, I can get good components and disk brakes... I'm only 5'2, so, not sure if that factors in at all. Please let me know, thanks a lot!

T.W.O.
    A few problems you may encounter, no front derailleur, and weight. Most are heavier and single ring only if you'd go 1x9 then you'll have a blast, I did with my giant stp. Cornering is fun, I pop manuals in more places and have more time to goof off as well.

mtbr member
    I rode an Azonic Evolution for a few years as my single track bike. I'm 5'11" and the frame is a 13" but I got a super long Thomson seat post and I was good to go. I rode it single speed and really had no problems with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Personally, I think it's a case of the wrong tool for the wrong job.

Your height won't have anything to do with not being able to find a well fitted cross country/commuter bike. Bike sizing easily accomodates people your height and shorter.

You are looking for a bike to ride singletrack trails and to commute some, then focus on looking at bikes that fit that better than a bike designed to mainly be hucked off jumps.

I'm just thinking I wouldn't buy a machete if all I wanted to do was cut myself a piece of cake.

Picture Unrelated
    If you can deal with the weight then it could be a viable option. I love trail riding my jump bike but my height leads me to be cramped while climbing and the weight is noticeable. In short, DJ bikes can be trail bikes but they're far from ideal for most riding. If you can test ride one, it will probably give you a better idea of what it will be like.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

usually cranky
    ive riden a stp as a trail bike for a while. it got it done but im way happier on purpose built rigs.

T.W.O.
    If this is going to be your full time only bike it may not work as well as a proper XC HT or AM HT but it a fun addition to your stable that's for sure. I don't jump my STP is mainly for practicing various skills and so far it has seen the most saddle time as I take it out almost every night after work and just mess around with it.

It's also fun on the trail but with it's geometry is not exactly optimum for climbing. I fell on my butt on the first ride because it require much less effort than I'm used to.