mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Dinged vintage Stumpjumper frame, keep or trash?

Hi everyone,

I've got a vintage, early 90's Specialized Stumpjumper with all original components that I'm trying to sell. However, the top tube has a ding in it and I'm wondering whether the frame is worth selling.

The ding is about the size of a finger pad, and about half a peanut deep. It's not rusted and there are no cracks. I've attached an image for reference.

Dinged vintage Stumpjumper frame, keep or trash?-stumpjumper-ding.jpg

Would this damaged frame still be of interest to buyers? Or should I just scrap it and salvage the stock Deore components (which would be easier to ship too).

Any advice would be appreciated.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Dents can be removed if they're small enough. That looks a little on the big side. Try the below link. You can also make this with wood. Good luck

Rolling bicycle frame tube dents
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi CS2,

Thanks for the info and link.

If I roll out the dent like in the link, will the frame be safe to ride afterward? Being that it's a mountain bike and will see some rough handling, will it have enough frame strength/integrity?

mtbr member
    Once the dent is worked with that one(or it is minor enough) you can possibly have a dent-puller pull it out externally. Some are hot-glue based, some use a metal stud. A body shop should have access to that for a limited fee.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for that info, Supersedona.

I never realized there were so many options for repairing a bike structurally. I haven't ridden in a while, and even when I did, I was just a noob so I never knew much about the bikes themselves.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Dinged vintage Stumpjumper frame, keep or trash?

Quote Originally Posted by am8449 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've got a vintage, early 90's Specialized Stumpjumper with all original components that I'm trying to sell. However, the top tube has a ding in it and I'm wondering whether the frame is worth selling.

The ding is about the size of a finger pad, and about half a peanut deep. It's not rusted and there are no cracks. I've attached an image for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stumpjumper ding.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	794326

Would this damaged frame still be of interest to buyers? Or should I just scrap it and salvage the stock Deore components (which would be easier to ship too).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    The bike is not vintage and not worth much no matter the condition. Might (might!) be worth slightly more with all original parts if in very good condition than parted out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    In a Craigs listing it would still net a couple hundred in the market over here to the right buyer in good condition. There is still a market for everyday use bikes in this limited economy.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The bike is not vintage and not worth much no matter the condition. Might (might!) be worth slightly more with all original parts if in very good condition than parted out.
    Come on shiggy, don't rain on his parade. I never met a Stumpjumper I didn't like. At least not a steel one.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Shiggy,

I see. I used "vintage" because it sounded better than "old" , and afterall, it is a 20 year-old bike. I'm no expert on Stumpjumpers or mountain bikes, so forgive me if my usage is incorrect.

What would you consider to be vintage?

As for parts, I've seen each piece sell for $10-$20 on ebay.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by am8449 View Post
    Shiggy,

I see. I used "vintage" because it sounded better than "old" , and afterall, it is a 20 year-old bike. I'm no expert on Stumpjumpers or mountain bikes, so forgive me if my usage is incorrect.

What would you consider to be vintage?
    Ņu
    As for parts, I've seen each piece sell for $10-$20 on ebay.
    As far as stumpjumpers go the lugged frame & biplane fork versions are considered classics, 1982 - 1984. 1985 & 1986 have lugged frame & fork with completely new geometry. Good luck.