mtbr member
    Jul 2006

DH bike questions

I'm new to the sport of DH'ing, but I have been riding for years. I'm wanting to pick up a decent 2nd hand bike to start with that won't brake the bank. I've been recommended to look for something like a Giant DH Comp. I've found an 06 for a good price and in good condition, are they a good option? Any other bikes that I should look out for, or any I should avoid? Other bikes I've seen around are the Giant Glory (but they seem to come with a single crown fork rather than a triple clamp), Big Hit, Ironhorse Sunday and Kona Stinky. Any of these I should stay away from, or put to the top of the list?

Also with sizing, I am almost always a large in xc/trail bikes. I'm 6ft with a long torso and short legs. Should I stay with a large in a DH bike, or perhaps look at a medium to make it easier to manouver the bike. Also, what are the key measurements to fit a DH frame? On a xc/trail bike I look for a frame with an effective top tube around 23.5 - 24in, but I guess giving the big change in geometry the top tube may not be as important?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Glory comes in both freeride and DH versions, the DH version will have the dual crown fork.

Like you say, effective top tube is not an important consideration when it comes to DH bikes. If you find a bike you like, go to the manufacturer's forum or the DH board and ask similarly-sized owners what size they're riding.

There's no app for this.

I'm similar to you

long torso, short legs. I ride a 23.5-24" TT also, on my 24" TT trail bike with a 90mm stem, on on my FR bike a large Knolly VTach, also 24" TT and a 50mm stem. I tried a smaller frame, and the knees were into the front bars. Can't speak for all, but most I ride with here on the Norshore have the same TT length regardless of bike design, and shorten/lengthen the stem as needed.

Jim