mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Devinci Remix One, or Devinci Jalepeno?

Remix One
    http://www.devinci.com/english/rx1.html

Jalepeno
    http://www.devinci.com/english/jala.html

I was once upon a time looking to buy a Kona, but it seems Kona's prices have increased a lot, and I have hear a lot about quality control issues, outsourcing to asia and so on. II started looking at Devinci after hearing great things about them from several people. I have narrowed it down to two bikes, but I am not sure which one is better suited to me.

I personaly lean towards the Remix One, as I like the look of it better, and I "think" it is better suited to my riding, but I don't know enough to know for sure.

I am 6'3" about 180lbs. I ride cross country for fun, and rarely venture of well worn trails.I won't race. I want a bike that will be comfortable enough to ride all day long. I am not interested in doing any significant jumps. Though I live near thew North Shore of Vancouver, I am extremly unlikely to engage in any north shore style freeriding. I want a bike that will climb well. I will also ride in the city on pavement. Vancouver is a very hilly city.

What say you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    okay so now one has experience with these bikes then?

Could someone offerna opinion based on the specs/design of the bikes and the info i gave about myself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok, I'll through you a bone.

From your described riding style, I'd say the Remix would be better for you. The Jalapeno looks like a pretty burly-type machine, plus the 6" fork will be a bit of a chore to climb with.
    The Remix is a true 4-bar suspension design while the Jalap. is a single pivot. Now before the cr@p starts to fly over this debate (I'm now putting on my flame retardant suit), the 4-bar will react differently to the trail than the single pivot. Maybe JimC will chime in here as he went from a single pivot to a 4-bar for trail-riding and he noticed the benefit of the 4-bar - help me out here Jim!?!

I guess it comes down to personal preference too. If by chance you think you'll ever start doing the big stuff on the Shore, then the Jalap may be the better choice, but otherwise the Remix will make you quite happy for your described intentions (although climbing any 30plus pound bike around N.Van will not be overly enjoyable).

I hope that helps a bit. Are you looking at the bikes at Steeds? I wouldn't mind having a look at the Remix's if he has any in - I'm out in the hinterland in Pitt Meadows.

Cheers,

Mike E.

There's no app for this.

Agree Mike

That jalapeƱo is a Bullit Knockoff, and almost 38lb. It's great for Whizzzzler bike park, and while you can pedal it up Fromme, you'll want a trail bike as a second bike.

The Remix will suit you quite nicely, IMHO. Still a tad heavy at 32lb, but has a great parts spec. I might look at a different fork, my Marz. Comp isn't ETA though, so that one on the Remix might be fine. A great fork is necessary to soak up those little tactical errors on the descents.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    I'd go remix if I were you - and if anything maybe think about something with even less travel - definitely not the Jalapeno

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Okay, good to know my insticts are correct. I would be very interested in knowing more about the 4-bar versus single pivot argument, where can I dig up that info?