(aka SS_MB-7)

Devinci Moonracer SL4 feedback?

I'm looking for some feedback/comments on the 08 Devinci Moonracer SL4. I searched but didn't come-up with anything.

I'm an ex-Expert XC racer looking to get back into XC racing after a couple years off. I spent most of this season on my road bike and recently got back into CX racing, which, has re-invigorated me to want to race MTB next year. With Fall, I've been off the road bike for the last couple weeks and have been back on the MTB and it feels great!

I'm currently riding on a 04 Titus Ti Racer-X 100, which I love! But, it's not the lightest. I'm itchin to get back into racing next year and want a lighter-weight FS XC bike for racing MTB races, enduros and, possibly, solo 24hrs.

With 3" of travel, the Moonracer should be racier than my RX-100. And, at 22lbs, it's ~4lbs lighter than my RX-100, too! There's over a pound difference in the frames alone (2254g vs 2735g)! So, it should be a great race bike with just enough travel to take the edge-off without giving-up much weight to a HT! I put the Moonracer (size M) on the shops digital scale and it was 22.7lbs complete. I've not weighed my Titus in a while, but I bet it's 26lbs...I'm going to the LBS today to weigh it.

My plan is to keep my Titus and use it as my play bike and use the Moonracer as my race/training weapon. My Titus has been very reliable through 5-yrs of hard racing and riding. My only concern with the Moonracer is durability. But, it's backed by a lifetime warranty, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

I can get a new 08 Moonracer now from my LBS for next season at a great deal. I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used the bike for the 08 season. Any issues?

FYI...I'm 5'6, 135lbs.

One thing I noticed yesterday while looking at the bike in the shop is that it does not have a rear Horst link (it was hard to see from the web pics if it was a pivot). I gather Devinci's higher-travel frames use the Horst link, but the Moonracer does not. How will the suspension compare to my Titus?
    Last edited by 1speed_Mike; 10-11-2008 at 04:39 AM.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    I've got a Magma from a few years ago. Build quality is excellent. Maybe try the Canadian Bikes section too.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    I've got a Magma from a few years ago. Build quality is excellent. Maybe try the Canadian Bikes section too.
    Thanks...ya, I searched the CDN Bikes section, too...nothing. But, I posted there, too.

In general, the overall Devinci comments seem good. I'm in Canada and would love to support a Canadian company.

I'm going to be taking the bike out today for a test ride, so I should have a good idea of how the suspension rides against my Titus.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com