mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Dean Colonel vs. Lynskey M230

I am looking to purchase a new titanium hardtail frame and looking at 2 specific models. I have looked at the Dean Colonel and the Lynskey M230. I currently ride an old school klein attitude and absolutely love it, but I recently had my 4th knee surgery and can no longer take the pounding of the aluminum. That being said it's probably one of the stiffest, fastest hardtails I've ridden and hate to part with it. I'm looking for something that's gonna be stiff upon pedaling and climbing laterally in the BB area, but still vertically comfy. I'm looking for a frame that will still be fast, but take the edge off of the chatter on the small stuff. I do another 4" FS bike, so I'm not looking for totally squishy like that. Any feedback from people that have ridden these bikes would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have owned several DEAN frames over the past 4 years. They are top quality with perfect welds. I found them to be more on the comfortable side and maybe not quite as stiff as some others. I preferred this over too stiff. Best thing about DEAN is they always offer specials. You can a great deal on new frame for a fraction of the cost of most other manufacturers. I have owned 4 DEAN frames, 3 Mountain and 1 Road and I can say I liked everyone of them. Price to quality of what you get would be hard to beet with the Specials DEAN runs.

Occidental Tourist
    God help you if your Dean ever brakes....
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love my Dean bike. I have owned 2 different Dean and love both of them.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB View Post
    Breaks, not brakes. A bike is supposed to brake but not break.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Love my Colonel

I have owned my 26" DEAN Colonel for 3 years now. John made it fully custom for me (for a 120mm front fork) and ride tuned to my weight, and I must say it is such a killer bike. All of that and it was significantly cheaper than the other small Ti builders I was looking at. The welds were flawless, the fit perfect, and the ride is very lively.

The full story is that the ordering process was super easy, efficient, and I really felt that John understood what I wanted. Quoted 8 weeks and it should be done. Then there was THE WAIT ...... 8wks...... 4months...... 6months... threat to cancel my order..... few more weeks then delivery fully exhausted and all of the custom stoke gone.

That said, I have had time to forget the wait and enjoyed a ton of time in the saddle. For my taste, I have not seen ANY other Ti hardtail bike that I would want over my DEAN. They are a great value and just look and fit "right". My next bike will likely be a DEAN Duke (the new style) if I need something a bit more forgiving (something that you might consider as a hardtail is still a hardtail regardless of material).

So if you can be patient and prepare yourself mentally for some delays and frustrations, then order a DEAN and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB View Post
    Have you ever owned a Dean?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deanbikes View Post
    Have you ever owned a Dean?
    Do not get suckered into pissing matches here on a two year old thread to boot. Some people would not listen.