Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DB Overdrive Carbon Expert

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JasonC29er 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've had one for about 8 months and I love it! I haven't bothered to weigh my whole bike but roughly I'd say it's low 20s to maybe 25 lbs. I ride mostly single track in the front range of CO with occasional trips to the mountains of CO, the western slope, and moab. The overdrive carbon has handled it all well, and I was amazed what I could charge in moab with it. I even rode the porcupine rim trail with it, which is something like 20 miles of some of the roughest double and single track I've ever ridden.

The only real complaint I have about it, is the wheelset is heavy and sucks. My rear hub would not stay tight, my freehub bearing was making alot of weird/bad noises and I Irreparably bent my rear rim in a pretty minor crash. I am 215lbs though so I do tend to be harder on wheels. I haven't had any problems with the front wheel but if I do, I'll happily replace it with a stans wheel.

The frame geometry is great, comfortable and stable but nimble for when it gets tight, and the sram components have been flawless. I was a little skeptical of the 2x10 drive train and I still occasionally wish for 3 rings up front but those times are becoming less and less frequent.

The warranty on the frame was a big plus for me, I haven't had to use it, but I've broken 2 aluminum frames in the past 3 year so it definitely gives me some peace of mind.

#3 ·
racingguy04,
Still liking your DB Overdrive Carbon Expert? I was thinking about taking advantage of the great deal. I've got it narrowed down to the DB Overdrive Carbon and the Specialized Crave Comp. My two concerns are--the overall snub of DB, especially by bike shops. Are their high end bikes all that DB say they are? Second, I'm generally hesitant on any carbon-framed mtb. Does it take the beating as well as ali? Thanks

#4 ·
I'm still loving it! I think the db high end bikes are on par with the other brands. I don't have much experience with other high end mtn bikes, but the frame geometry and quality are great and the sram components are sram components. I have a higher end specialized road bike, and other than the stickers (and the obvious different applications) I can't tell a difference between the two.

As far as it being a carbon mtn bike, I think any carbon mtn bike is a bit of a gamble, but in the year before I bought this bike I broke 2 aluminum frames, both where the seat tube met the top tube. DB has a lifetime guarantee on the frame excluding crash damage which is part of why I picked it, neither of my aluminum frames were broken in crashes. I generally do my best to avoid crashing but I have had to pretty legit crashes with this frame, both going over the handle bars. One crash at slow speed bent the rear wheel beyond repair and the other at a much quicker speed broke a pedal. The frame came out of both of those unscathed. I wouldn't go throwing it against stuff for fun, but I think the frame can take more of a beating than I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.