mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cycletech Nova Elite? Do you have this very old mtb frame and fork?

Just wondering if anybody out there has a Cycletech Nova Elite frame and fork. I have one but the fork was damaged in an accident with a car. If you have one of these frame and forks, I wouldn't mind buying the fork from you.

ups and downs
    Holy moly that is really old, like 1986-87 old. Do you have a picture?

For $50 you can buy a new 1" threaded fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sweet. That is what I was looking for. I think I shall pick one of those fine forks up. Thanks for the link.

How do I measure my original fork? From the center of the dropouts to what?

I'll take a picture of the olde beast. It must be one of the oldest mountain bikes, literally. I traded it for a guitar. It has ishiwata (sp?) triple-butted tubing with a lugged seat collar and other neat features. Cool old frame. I will use one of those tange forks, but I'll keep searching for the original. The green colour is just so cool. It has spent much of it's life as my commuter bike

ups and downs
    The fork measurements are from the axle to the crown race.

I had a Tech Nova, a bright yellow one back in 1986.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Cool. Ok, I'll measure from the axel to the base (bottom) of the crown race. That reminds, I may need a new headset. It's too bad actually. The fork isn't badly damaged, but you can see it is ever so slightly bent back and the weld is bulging on one side. Whatever the case may be, it's toast. It's at my mom's place. I'll measure it and order a fork and be done with it

I actually had a Cycletech "Wild Thing" in 1992 or 93 or there-abouts. It's the bike I raced. Pretty good bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My axle to the bottom of the crown race is 15" = 380 mm. I measured the bottom of the crown race to the top of the threaded head tube and it's 127 mm.

ups and downs
    So you can use the 1" fork with the 140mm threaded section x 390mm A2C height, and trim off 10mm or so off the steer tube. You won't notice the 10mm extra A2C height.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's what I figured.

I suppose if there was a threadless headset out there, I could get threadless but I'd need to find a threadless stem too.

ups and downs
    That's likely becoming more work than the bike is worth. Do you know what vintage this particular Cycletech Nova is?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, that is more work. I think the olde stainless steel headset is still good so I'll just keep it threaded. I would hazard a guess that the bike is 1986-1991. No idea exactly.