Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Custom frame advice

600 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kryptoroxx 
#1 ·
I just picked a frame copy of a specialized fsr pro (identified by the rear triangle) and I really love how the bike rides. Pretty sure its from 99 or 2000? I picked it up used and I'm a beginner but the bike is feeling more and more natural the more miles I put on it.

Which brings me to my question. Are custom frame bikes more expensive or is it just harder to find a welder for the frame?
Apparently this frame was built by the path bike shop in orange county.

Is there anything I should be wary of since it is a custom frame?

Are there any advantages into looking at a custom frame as opposed to one of the many reputable brands out there.

I figure one disadvantage would be warranty.

Just curious and trying to learn more about my new bike. I haven't seen too many custom frames though so it made me wonder.

sent by carrier pigeon

See less See more
#2 ·
Are custom frame bikes more expensive or is it just harder to find a welder for the frame?
Apparently this frame was built by the path bike shop in orange county.

Is there anything I should be wary of since it is a custom frame?

Are there any advantages into looking at a custom frame as opposed to one of the many reputable brands out there.

I figure one disadvantage would be warranty.

Just curious and trying to learn more about my new bike. I haven't seen too many custom frames though so it made me wonder.

sent by carrier pigeon
Yes, custom frames are more expensive, because they aren't mass produced in Taiwan, Vietnam, or China.

Good welders are not the same as good frame builders. Good frame builders aren't common anywhere. The very good welders in the bike building regions are mostly just workers in a factory, although I expect that each factory has a few true craftsmen as well.

If the frame was made by a reputable builder with a good reputation it should be fine.

The advantage is the fact it is custom fit for the rider. Sadly your used custom bike isn't custom for you, although it may fit you fine if you are lucky!

I know custom builders with superior warranties.

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.