Merendon Junkie

Current 26er steel offerings ?

Hello,

I presently find myself with lots of used but functional parts that I have accumulated over the years due to the upgraditis disease. I was thinking of buying nice and cheap chromoly frame so I could put those parts to use and build a nice bike for the Lady (and me). I already have a 29er steel hardtail, which I love, and would like to buid a 26er steel HT due to the fact the my left over wheels and fork are 26 inch and because a steel 26er will now fall under the realm of "exotic bike", and I likes my bikes like I like my women, exotic . I also love the ride of a steel hartail.
    Could you guys point me to some current offerings of steel 26er frames. So far I have looked at the soma analog and on one. Are there any others left still producing these frames?
    Thanks for your helps guys!

Cheers,
    Abel

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Cotic
    Ragley

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Pipedream

mtbr member
    May 2005
    On one. Oops. You are mentioned them. Can you use a frame designed for 650b as 26er? If so Jamis Dragon.

Merendon Junkie
    Thanks for the replies guys. Im glad to see that several brands are keeping the 26 steel hardtail alive. Those cotic bikes are sweet. I think I will go that route when I decide to try out a 650B. I hope I dont have to scratch that itch soon though. The pipedreams are nice also and their prices are very competitive. In the end I settled for a on one inbred, the price was too good, $233 shipped. I hope the frame turns out decent enough. I really like the Jamis Dragon but felt uneasy with the idea of using a 650B frame, the Geos should be fairly similar but I didnt want to risk it.

Thanks!
    Abel

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good choice! The Inbred is awesome. Good luck with the build.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Merendon Junkie
    My frame finally arrived a couple of weeks ago! Customs have been having some "heavy audits" causing somewhat of a delay, but its finally with me! My first impressions were very good. The frame looks much better in person than what I had expected. The matte black paint looks nice and the build quality looks solid. Its not the lightest steel frame out there but the weight felt quite decent. It also has some cool little details painted on the frame. All the decals appear to be below the clear coat.

I was gonna wait until I had all the parts ready to start building it, but I couldnt help myself and installed all the parts I had available. This is a parts bin project so most of the components are used but well taken care off take offs from my other bikes. The only parts missing were the brakes, handlebar, which I gave away a week before deciding to go for the parts bin project, the shifters, headset and front derailleur. I am now just waiting on the shifters and front derailleur, which were an excuse to upgrade them on one of my bikes and put the old shifters and derailleur to the "parts bin" jeje. I went with the cheap ebay bb7 brake deal on this one. It comes with speed dial levers and "fake" rotors.

I have not had a chance yet to take it out for a proper ride, but the initial around the block testing feel pretty nice. I think Im gonna really like this bike. Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current 26er steel offerings ?-img_7590.jpg  

Current 26er steel offerings ?-img_7591.jpg  

Current 26er steel offerings ?-img_7579.jpg  

Current 26er steel offerings ?-img_7586.jpg  

Current 26er steel offerings ?-img_7918.jpg