mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Crown race position

Hello
    Need help. The only bike shop in town.
    Had my LBS install a full carbon fork with steer tube also carbon.
    It looks to me that the crown race is not fully seated, I took the bike back to the LBS who installed the fork and they said the gap is normal the reason being is so the head tube does not rub the fork crown or top of fork, is this true? everything is tight no play, steering is smooth, no play whatsoever.
    The fork is a Niner Carbon Rigid 29" Fork, the bike is a Dimondback overdrive comp 29er 2015.
    The gap measures the thickness of a US Quarter as in nickle, dime quarter.
    Thank you for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crown race position-2016-05-01_17-47-19_662.jpg  

Crown race position-2016-05-01_17-47-59_678.jpg  

mtbr member
    It doesn't even look evenly seated, is the gap bigger in front? That explanation doesn't make sense to me, the crown race is meant to push against the headset bearings, it has nothing to do with the crown hitting the head tube.

edit: nvm, looking closer it looks even. I still don't buy their answer though, the crown race doesn't move on the fork. I have also seen crown races however where there is a bit of a raised lip, but the center is flush against the fork crown. My CK race has it.

I just realized maybe I don't know what I'm looking at. Is that black ring the crown race, or the lower headset cup?

Bottom

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had the same issue with a Niner fork and crown race. Two bike shops said it was okay to ride, but Niner advised me not to ride it like that. Something about the type of crown race I had and the taper of the carbon steerer just didn't quite match up properly. I installed a new lower headset/crown race that was the cartridge bearing type, and that solved my problem. Here's the thread about it.

Trouble seating crown race on Niner RDO fork.

mtbr member
    Interesting, good to know. Thanks Geralt

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    It doesn't even look evenly seated, is the gap bigger in front? That explanation doesn't make sense to me, the crown race is meant to push against the headset bearings, it has nothing to do with the crown hitting the head tube.

edit: nvm, looking closer it looks even. I still don't buy their answer though, the crown race doesn't move on the fork. I have also seen crown races however where there is a bit of a raised lip, but the center is flush against the fork crown. My CK race has it.

I just realized maybe I don't know what I'm looking at. Is that black ring the crown race, or the lower headset cup?

Bottom

Hello
    Thank you for your help.
    Yes the black ring is the lower headset cup, I am going to disassemble the whole headset tomorrow and take a closer look, I really do not buy their answer either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I had the same issue with a Niner fork and crown race. Two bike shops said it was okay to ride, but Niner advised me not to ride it like that. Something about the type of crown race I had and the taper of the carbon steerer just didn't quite match up properly. I installed a new lower headset/crown race that was the cartridge bearing type, and that solved my problem. Here's the thread about it.

Trouble seating crown race on Niner RDO fork.
    Hello
    Yes that is my plan also, I have a new headset coming soon the cartridge bearing type, they used the crown off of the original fork, I think that maybe the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    what type of headset? i had a similar gap with a CC 10 headset. the crown race with that headset was a really cheap plastic split ring. on mine it was installed upside down but even with crown race installed properly I had a gap, but not as big as yours.

your crown race might be installed upside down, it is at least worth checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi
    Cjsb
    Thank`s for the tip, the headset is stock that came with my particular model of bike which is a FSA headset not sure the model, I finally had a chance to check the crown race and found that the crown race was installed in the right orientation, but the LBS who installed the fork did not fully seat the crown race to the fork crown hence the gap, I seated it fully with a PVC pipe and hammer, now the gap is at it`s bare minimum I will post pictures.
    I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions I really appreciated it. PROBLEM SOLVED!