mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Cross Country fork with 20mm axle?

Anyone know a good cross country fork with a 20mm axle? I bought some XT wheels but the front wheel accommodates a 20mm axle. Either that, or is there an adaptor I can use in there to make it fit a standard 9mm?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Rock Shox Reba or the Manitou minute

they are not SID or r7 in weight, but they are pretty light...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Which one is better?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Doesn't look like many xc bikes are going to use that axle size. Moreso the 15mm.
    Is there an adaptor to make a 20mm fit a 9mm?

Former Bike Wrench
    Both are excellent forks but if your interested in a bargain, Jenson USA is blowing out the Minutes right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the TPC minute is an excellent fork.. very plush, great damper, stiff and durable. the reba is just fantastic though, but you'll pay twice as much.

you'd be very well advised to stay with the 20mm axle! it does make a difference, even on xc bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You find the 20mm axle is better? I've never ridden one. How is it different? Smoother?

LDH
    mtbr member
    reba or rev are great in 20mm but you can get an adapter to go to qr9mm from azonic, bontrager and many others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayzonk
    You find the 20mm axle is better? I've never ridden one. How is it different? Smoother?
    dramatically stiffer! if you're heavier its even more pronounced, but lighter riders benefit too. tracks better, holds straighter lines when it gets rough.. its just better in every way, for a marginal few grams of extra weight.

mtbr member
    So true! I have the minute super 120 w/ absolute damper and 20mm TA. It rides over everything that my old mx comp qr used to have extreme difficulty with. I can keep a straight line over rough so much better. like night and day.
    My front wheel used to flex and a couple of my spokes used to make noise as they shifted around over eachother but as soon as I switched to the 20mm TA that issue disappeared.