mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Creaking driving me nuts !!!!

Do all multi pivot fullies start creaking just by mentioning the word water ? My bike must be wiped and lubed after every ride in the wet. Lately we had a lot of rain and riding sees to be more than a good workout, its a pain in the butt !! Is this normal since ? Your views please. Oh did inspect the frame for a possible crack, none found.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I had the same problem with my stumpjumper. Had the pivot bearings replaced. I tried everything, blow them out with air, lube them. The grit gets in there. New ones will go a couple of thousand miles depending on how much wet riding you do. LBS told me hose off with a trikkle of water, don't force the water in.

mtbr member
    OT;
    Does the noise go away after you lube?

I find that my bike creaks on either the seat rail/clamp area; seatpost/frame area; sometimes in the BB or headset.

The pivots don't seem to cause any issues for me but all bike designs are different.

If the noise goes away after lubing; try and isolate the problem pivot by lubing one pivot at a time.

If it doesn't; then try greasing the seatpost; BB; seatrail; or headset one at a time. Without isolating the creak; it's really hard to know what the issue is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a maddening creak and I even ended up replacing a bottom bracket after trying to service it to rid the noise- but I traced it backed to the bearings in my speed pedals... odd noise i've never came across before .. cleaning lubing wouldn't help - replace the pedals and quiet as could be

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a gen1 Nomad and a MotoLite. No creeks with either, thank God. I dd have a Blur 4x and that think was louder than hell. Truly annoying.

Members who have read this thread: 0