mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Crazy to put new shock on older bike?

Bought a used 2004 stumpjer with a 160mm fox 32 downhill fork on it. The rear shock is just an old
    fox float r 6.5 x 1.5 though. Sounds like crap and not holding enough pressure. Just dropped it off
    at the lbs and was told the rebuild kit they have may not even work for this old of a shock. Pretty sure
    he is wrong but whatever.

Got me thinking though if I should upgrade the rear shock or not? It is an old bike but I don't see
    myself spending $1500 on a new bike for a while.

Plus I don't care at all about lockout, remote lockout of any of this new technology stuff on bikes.
    Not too interested in 29ers either.

Is is worth putting a new/used shock on my stumpy? I'm thinking of buying a float rp23 on ebay for $200 bucks
    and calling it a day.

Besides the lockout is the rp23 that much of an improvement on a older float r?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder View Post
    Bought a used 2004 stumpjer with a 160mm fox 32 downhill fork on it. The rear shock is just an old
    fox float r 6.5 x 1.5 though. Sounds like crap and not holding enough pressure. Just dropped it off
    at the lbs and was told the rebuild kit they have may not even work for this old of a shock. Pretty sure
    he is wrong but whatever.

Got me thinking though if I should upgrade the rear shock or not? It is an old bike but I don't see
    myself spending $1500 on a new bike for a while.

Plus I don't care at all about lockout, remote lockout of any of this new technology stuff on bikes.
    Not too interested in 29ers either.

Is is worth putting a new/used shock on my stumpy? I'm thinking of buying a float rp23 on ebay for $200 bucks
    and calling it a day.

Besides the lockout is the rp23 that much of an improvement on a older float r?
    Even better than a new $200 shock, send the old one to PUSH for a full rebuild and custom valving and tuning:
    Push Industries - FOX Float R

If you like the bike, stick with it.

Curious about that fork, though. I did not realize they made a 160mm 32. In any event, 160mm fork seems a bit much for that bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    if you like the bike you have now then sure buy a newer shock. i would look on pinkbike before shelling out $500 for a new shock. im building up a vp free with a rc4 or double barrel. but only spend the money if you like your current bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ya, I wondered if getting it pushed (great marketing) would be worth it on a older shock. Maybe thats my best bet if it can't be fixed by the lbs. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    It cant be fixed by the LBS. The seal kit they have wont do anything. Push isnt just marketing at all, they really manufacturer completely new shocks with a fox body. Its good stuff, a very good option.

The RP23 isnt much better or really different than the R, especially if you use propedal a lot. The push shock is drastically different.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    ya, I wondered if getting it pushed (great marketing) would be worth it on a older shock. Maybe thats my best bet if it can't be fixed by the lbs. Thanks guys.
    TOTALLY worth it, and much better than what your shop is even capable of doing. They don't just rebuild it, they actually replace the stock valving. What you will be getting back is basically a new shock, as good or better than any air shock you would buy new for twice the money it costs to get a PUSH mod. You will not have the propedal lever of an rp2 or rp23, but they will tune the shock so that you won't even need it.

I have new bike that came with an rp23. I swapped it out for a old PUShed Float AVA (got it re-tuned by PUSH for this bike), which is the exactly the same shock as you have but with a different air sleeve. The PUSHed AVA is better, IMO

An old shock is the perfect candidate for being PUSHed.

Do a search on PUSH, IMO it is just a no-brainer for your situation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

awesome

thanks. Glad I asked, this will be the route for me.

Also, my front shock is a 160mm talas rc2. Sounds like overkill but thats how I bought it and the weight doesn't bother me. It feels great.

mtbr member
    Its not the weight.. that bike was built for a 100mm fork. A fox 36 is just so massively too long for that bike its unsafe/insane. I hope you're riding it in the lowest travel setting!

Thats a valuable fork however, you could do well selling it and buying a better fitting fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Unsafe? Feels fine. Guy i bought it from had it on there a couple years. What could happen? Frame damage?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Unsafe? Feels fine. Guy i bought it from had it on there a couple years. What could happen? Frame damage?
    My main concern is that if you are using that fork to it's full 160mm potential, there is a good chance that you are riding that frame too hard. There is a bit a disagreement as to why exactly frame manufacturers void their warranty with a fork much longer than it was spec'ed for, some say it is because you will ride the frame too hard, others say it has to do with leverage at the headtube. Either way, it's worth considering.

In terms of how it rides, I'm sure you have played around with the travel setting enough to know it handles at a shorter travel. That's how I would likely be riding that setup. But hey, whatever feels good....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    great thanks for the heads up. Ya, as far as riding the frame to hard that is not going to happen. The leverage at the head tube makes sense I guess. Maybe I'll look at selling it and getting a smaller one. Its just so darn pretty though. I honestly have no idea what its worth but I'll start checking. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Other question I have is what size fork should I be getting? 140mm? Recommend a decent used one? I see some like this one with shorter travel. Guess I should be looking to trade mine out for one of these or something else. I know nothing about forks though.