mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cracked Carbon MTB Frame

I've got a Wilier 101xn 29er frame with a crack right where the front derailleur clamp pinches (Shimano) from over torquing. I had the crack fixed (carbon reinforced, etc.). But when I tried to get it put back together it cracked again in the same spot. Obviously because the front derailleur clamps at the same spot. So I'm gonna get it fix again and my bike guy suggested a couple of different solutions. See how these sounds to you guys.

I'm currently running Shinamo 3x10, my frame does not support E type derailleur:

First suggestion: Change the front derailleur to Sram XX get a new crankset and run 2x10 instead. (I hardly ever found the need to use the small chainring where we live) Reason being the Sram clamps at a different spot on the frame (also the clamp itself clamps differently putting less stress on the frame), supposedly.

Second suggestion: Run Sram XX1. Problem is that it is a big investment and we do lots more rides on paved road than trails here in Thailand. I'm kinda worried about losing speed. I could be wrong all together since I've never tried it.

What do you guys thing? Any other suggestion?

AZ
    banned
    Repair it again while adding a braze on style derailleur mount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm a big supporter of 1x10. You're already most of the way there...ditch the 3 chainrings and put a singlespeed specific chainring (has longer teeth) 32T or 36T on the front since you ride more flats and give it a whirl. I think you'll like it....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by copylatte View Post
    I'm a big supporter of 1x10. You're already most of the way there...ditch the 3 chainrings and put a singlespeed specific chainring (has longer teeth) 32T or 36T on the front since you ride more flats and give it a whirl. I think you'll like it....
    Thanks for the reply.
    Well, while we ride on pavement they are not 'flat' these roads goes up hills and some sections are quite steep. Which is the reason why I feel running 2x10 makes a little more sense. I've never personally ride a 1x10 so I can't say for sure.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Before you resort to alternatives...first send Wilier their frame back.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

T.W.O.
    Yeah, I'd send it back, that's not a cheap frame. If/when you get it back let someone else install it for you. Going with 2x10 or 1x11 would not fix the problem.

Bigger question is why are you riding carbon mtb on paved road and worry about speed, why not just get a road bike? If you are running on the paved road with mtb then get the slick tires, and use road gearing would make more sense, no? I know I know, it's a fashion thing. I've seen plenty of hop up full suspension bikes around town the last time I was there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Yeah, I'd send it back, that's not a cheap frame. If/when you get it back let someone else install it for you. Going with 2x10 or 1x11 would not fix the problem.

Bigger question is why are you riding carbon mtb on paved road and worry about speed, why not just get a road bike? If you are running on the paved road with mtb then get the slick tires, and use road gearing would make more sense, no? I know I know, it's a fashion thing. I've seen plenty of hop up full suspension bikes around town the last time I was there.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have been in contact with Wilier about sending the frame back, not much help so far.
    As for your other comments:
    I do have a road bike. I never said I didn't.
    For me it's not a 'fashion' thing. If you've been to Thailand you'd know the some of our 'paved' roads are in worse condition than mountain trails in Idaho (which is where I also ride).
    Why do I have a MTB?
    Most of my friends ride MTBs and I still do some off road stuff so that is the reason why I have a Mountain bike.
    Have you ever try riding in a group of MTBs with a road bike? It's not that much fun having to slow down all the time for your group to catch up with you.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinFalls View Post
    For me it's not a 'fashion' thing. If you've been to Thailand you'd know the some of our 'paved' roads are in worse condition than mountain trails in Idaho (which is where I also ride).
    No it's not worse, but I know what you mean