mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Counterfeit Frames?

There are some Asian sellers on eBay that have some amazing prices. I know, I know, you get what you pay for. But, sometimes there are deals to be had (I'm always hoping).

How common is it for these frames to be counterfeit? I saw a Lapierre Tecnic 700 frame for $189, an ORBEA Sport MTB frame for $149.99, and a Brand New Full Carbon MTB frame for $279.

These prices do seem to be too good to be true.

Anyone have any good experiences with frames from Asia?

Thanks,
    Ian

mtbr member
    Most of the frames I've browsed through do appear to be legit. However, just because "counterfeit" isn't necessarily the right word doesn't mean the deals are always 100% above board. For example (and these things are hard to figure out, let alone prove) there can be "grey market" sources, such as factories who build these frames on contract for Lapierre, Orbea, etc purposefully making extra so they can sell the frames themselves as a secondary source of profit. If they did the same thing with their own branding it would be legit, but that doesn't sell as well.

As for the carbon frames, there are many factories who specialize in carbon and they aren't afraid to sell direct. These usually are not counterfeit, grey, or illegitimate in any way, you are simply buying a frame directly from the factory and therefore not paying any markups to cover all the operational costs of warehousing, marketing, bike shop operating costs, etc

Regardless of any of that, you still get what you pay with either of those for because there's usually no warranty or the warranty is hard to follow up on or not even worth it because of shipping time and cost back to Asia. Just depends where you place your value

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Most of the frames I've browsed through do appear to be legit. However, just because "counterfeit" isn't necessarily the right word doesn't mean the deals are always 100% above board. For example (and these things are hard to figure out, let alone prove) there can be "grey market" sources, such as factories who build these frames on contract for Lapierre, Orbea, etc purposefully making extra so they can sell the frames themselves as a secondary source of profit. If they did the same thing with their own branding it would be legit, but that doesn't sell as well.

As for the carbon frames, there are many factories who specialize in carbon and they aren't afraid to sell direct. These usually are not counterfeit, grey, or illegitimate in any way, you are simply buying a frame directly from the factory and therefore not paying any markups to cover all the operational costs of warehousing, marketing, bike shop operating costs, etc

Regardless of any of that, you still get what you pay with either of those for because there's usually no warranty or the warranty is hard to follow up on or not even worth it because of shipping time and cost back to Asia. Just depends where you place your value

very good reply

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bt
    very good reply
    Yes, very good, Thank You,
    Ian

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm in the process of building one of these carbon fiber MTB frames that you mentioned. I thought it was an original idea and came to these forums for help/info. The info I found only reinforced my desire to build one of these. I did a lot of research because, like you said, it sounded too good to be true. I was reassured with this thread:
    Update on my ebay carbon hardtail

mtbr member

+1 on the above. I built one, paid less then $300 shipped for the frame. It's the same frame that other companies sell for a much higher price. And it's really fun to ride!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    +1 on the above. I built one, paid less then $300 shipped for the frame. It's the same frame that other companies sell for a much higher price. And it's really fun to ride!
    is that a real life photo with the finished stickers that highdell made?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I like it, especially your choice of putting some nice fat tires on it (don't see that on many WW bikes). I probably would have been concerned putting a short A2C rigid fork on a bike designed for probably 80/100mm suspension (I'm assuming), but your head tube angle looks fine. Bet it flies uphill.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    is that a real life photo with the finished stickers that highdell made?
    That's photoshoped. Highdelll designed the graphics, but I haven't had them printed out yet.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I like it, especially your choice of putting some nice fat tires on it (don't see that on many WW bikes). I probably would have been concerned putting a short A2C rigid fork on a bike designed for probably 80/100mm suspension (I'm assuming), but your head tube angle looks fine. Bet it flies uphill.
    Thanks. Those are WTB Mutano Raptor race tires, about 595 grams each if I remember. I thought a light high air volumn tire would be a good idea, and I'm not OCD about weight. It handles and climbs great. 1X9 is all I need even for the steep climbs. But, It does require you to pay attention to what you are doing, all the time.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT