mtbr member
    Jul 2013

We the people ... converting cheapo to downhill

To whoever can help, I recently bought a cheap Mountain bike from Walmart, I had $120 from my birthday and i couldn't wait any longer so I just took the damn thing. It's a Next bike, 24" 6 gears, all V brakes and rear suspension with fake shocks. the rear tire already went flat, since I've hopped it up the curb quite a few times.
    Now, I want some professional opinions and advice, because I plan to do two things to it in order to hopefully convert it to a Downhill bike.
    First of all, I want to know if I can drop the handlebars and extend the fork below the frame connection (please excuse my terrible vocabulary) to make it more of a Downhill frame, as well as get forks with actual shocks.
    Secondly, I was wondering if I could replace the front and rear V brakes with Disc brakes, since I'm already going to replace the fork.
    And in general, would I be an complete idiot to try and convert a $94 walmart brand mountain bike to a full fledged downhill bike?
    Also, if you're going to curse me out for wanting to jump into downhill after only having been riding seriously for a few months, please do and help a man out, I really appreciate any and all feedback I can get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails converting cheapo to downhill-mymtb.jpg  

OTB Pro
    Not again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mind explaining?

OTB Pro
    That frame probably cant withstand the forces associated with downhill mountain biking. Not too mention I'd say the steerer is most likely 1" and probably cant accommodate any new forks as most steerer tubes are at least 1 1/8" now. Raking the bike out like it would be with a 160mm-200mm fork will have a very good possibility of snapping the bike at the steerer tube. The rear shock is most likely worthless and I doubt you could fit a long travel shock there. Maybe try renting bikes for a while at your local DH park or save a little and buy a used DH bike when you get the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

converting cheapo to downhill

It isn't worth doing ANY modifications to that bike. Ride it to the store for sodas and save your money.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There must be threads warning about this type of conversion --- look them up. The biggest consideration isn't the amount of money you'll waste; it's that you may be injured badly when the bike fails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Run whatcha brung!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneKalvine View Post
    would I be an complete idiot to try and convert a $94 walmart brand mountain bike to a full fledged downhill bike?
    Yes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Return the bike, save the money and start saving towards a used bike of your choice.

nothing to see here
    Does that bike have a sticker that says "Not intended for off road use" on it?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Does that bike have a sticker that says "Not intended for off road use" on it?
    I just remembered it did, but I just abuse it and take it off road regardless. I guess I should have waited a bit longer to get something real.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneKalvine View Post
    To whoever can help, I recently bought a cheap Mountain bike from Walmart, I had $120 from my birthday and i couldn't wait any longer so I just took the damn thing. It's a Next bike, 24" 6 gears, all V brakes and rear suspension with fake shocks. the rear tire already went flat, since I've hopped it up the curb quite a few times.
    Now, I want some professional opinions and advice, because I plan to do two things to it in order to hopefully convert it to a Downhill bike.
    First of all, I want to know if I can drop the handlebars and extend the fork below the frame connection (please excuse my terrible vocabulary) to make it more of a Downhill frame, as well as get forks with actual shocks.
    Secondly, I was wondering if I could replace the front and rear V brakes with Disc brakes, since I'm already going to replace the fork.
    And in general, would I be an complete idiot to try and convert a $94 walmart brand mountain bike to a full fledged downhill bike?
    Also, if you're going to curse me out for wanting to jump into downhill after only having been riding seriously for a few months, please do and help a man out, I really appreciate any and all feedback I can get.
    A decent DH bike cost about $5-6k, how much do you have to spend on the conversion. Anything less than 3k for a used DH bike is just a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Excuse my french, but F u c k this, I'm getting a dirt bike like I wanted to in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    And thank all of you for helping, I appreciate it a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    A decent DH bike cost about $5-6k, how much do you have to spend on the conversion. Anything less than 3k for a used DH bike is just a bad idea.
    Not so. I have bought and sold a number of good DH bikes for well under 3K, as have quite a few of my friends, all in very good shape. There is a very limited market for full-on DH bikes, and you can find incredible deals on them.

ie - I bought an 2001 Intense M1 etc in 2003 for $2k and a 2006 Turner DHR in 2008 for $1200. Sold the M1 with a hodgepodge of well used but fully serviceable parts for $300. Will probably sell the DHR, (still in great shape as I've been doing the dad thing more than the DH thing for awhile now) for $1000 or less. I have an old Kona Stab and enough parts to make it run that I'll put together one of these days and sell for a 3 or 4 hundred. You can find Big Hits dirt cheap all over the place...etc etc.

Of course, dirt bikes are fun as hell too. braaaapppp!!!!

T.W.O.

converting cheapo to downhill

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Not so. I have bought and sold a number of good DH bikes for well under 3K, as have quite a few of my friends, all in very good shape. There is a very limited market for full-on DH bikes, and you can find incredible deals on them.

ie - I bought an 2001 Intense M1 etc in 2003 for $2k and a 2006 Turner DHR in 2008 for $1200. Sold the M1 with a hodgepodge of well used but fully serviceable parts for $300. Will probably sell the DHR, (still in great shape as I've been doing the dad thing more than the DH thing for awhile now) for $1000 or less. I have an old Kona Stab and enough parts to make it run that I'll put together one of these days and sell for a 3 or 4 hundred. You can find Big Hits dirt cheap all over the place...etc etc.

Of course, dirt bikes are fun as hell too. braaaapppp!!!!
    Yeah you are right, I now recalled several deals I saw on pinkbike for about 1k of giant glory. I was only thinking of the current top end models

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah - full retail prices can get crazy. Depreciation is brutal when it comes to DH bikes though; even more so than trail bikes. Also, there are a good number of people that think they're going to get into DH, buy a ton of expensive gear, then find out that it's not usually cheap or make it to a lift accessed venue on a regular basis, that you can really get hurt playing this game, and that no, actually gravity does NOT do all the work and you need a lot of fitness and skill to ride DH. A couple seasons later, the bike is in the basement collecting dust, they've moved on to something else...that's when I swoop in for the bargain...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That bike would be awesome on a DH run. At least 3 pieces would fall off. Also known as a BSO, bike shaped object.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    converting cheapo to downhill-p4pb1547927.jpg