mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Considering a New Bike

My first post on this forum. I'm in the market for a new cross country mountain bike. I'm looking for a hardtail in the $800-$1000 range. I weigh about 160 lbs and I'm 5'11", and I currently ride an 08 Specialized Hardrock. I ride recreationally and will also use it on pavement, possibly the occasional jump here and there but nothing extreme.

The most important features I'm looking for are good hydraulic disc brakes and a decent fork-I'm not as interested in getting a high end drivetrain. The most important component would be nice brakes. The model I'm most interested in is the Kona Cinder Cone, but I'm also considering a Felt Q720:

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=cinder_cone

http://2010.feltracing.com/USA/2010-...ries/Q720.aspx

I also looked at the Specialized Rockhoppers, but ruled them out because it seems like you don't get very much bang for your buck anymore with the current models.

I was wondering if there are any other bikes I should be considering that have the features that I want in my price range or cheaper. Besides the brakes and fork, the only other minor complaint about my hardrock is that the handle bars seem like they're too low and I feel like I'm going to fall over the front of the bike sometimes on a downhill, so I'm also looking for a bike with a more upright riding position (or maybe I just need a raised stem).

Apr 2007
    If you need slack geo bike, look into getting something like an On One 456 frame, transfer the parts over from your current bike and go at it. Would be a lot cheaper than a new bike.

It's all about the FSR!
    Good brakes and a fork? Not the Felt, because the Dart2 is garbage. Kona has a decent front fork, and Juicy 3's which I added to a previous Specialized that I had. I really liked them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are you able to test ride the Kona, I have road the Fire mountain and really liked it for a low-end bike. If your unable to test ride and don't have any other opinions to go for I'd get the Kona for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Why not save the money and put a nice fork and hydros on your current bike, unless the present one does not have disc brakes? You can pick up some avid elixirs for less than 150, and get a nice rockshox recon air fork for 300-450 depending on the model? Both of those will be nicer than the bike you're looking to replace them with.