mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Confused about my bike

I have a 2006 SC Blur LT (1.0) and just recently picked up a 2012 SC Highball. I've always thought my technique just needed work with the Blur, but as i've been riding the Highball more and more i'm realizing that the problem is not necessarily me.

The Blur is set up with a RS Revelation up front (dual position, 150mm -> 120mm), but i previously had a Talas (130mm -> 90mm) fork on it. In both cases, the problem i have is on ascent: If i sit in the saddle, the front wheel wants to "wheelie", it has no weight on it and as a result it wanders a lot and i often fail because i'm basically tipping backwards and/or wandering off into the woods. If i shift my weight forward, the rear wheel gets un-weighted and i spin out and i fail.

I have my stem as low as it can go without switching to a negative-rise, and it's interesting because i've basically always had the problem except when i had the old Talas on the lowest setting (90mm). Even on the 120mm setting with the Revelation i am having issues.

I'm 6'4" and the Blur is an XL, and i've also read that the Blur's were a little small in those years and sizes.

So my question is: is this just the nature of a 5-6" travel bike, or is it time for me to find something else?
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    BTW, i'm willing to consider other options too. I can't help but wonder if a stiffer/different rear shock could help keep my weight forward on the ascents. Or it could just be that i suck at biking
    Blur LT & Highball

Fat-tired Roadie
    Try flipping your stem. Try a longer stem. All life is compromise, and this is all about balancing your riding comfort, your weight distribution on climbs, and your weight distribution on descents.

It often doesn't take much to get the front wheel to be more planted.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.

Confused about my bike

I like it the other way around, I'm more comfortable with shorter stems. I think it's your technique, you just need to find that happy medium for best traction. I usually put my but on the nose of the saddle, and pivot my hip forward, chest down and pull down the grip slightly toward the bb. This way I'm weighting both front and rear and keep it biting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's a good point. I have a 90mm stem on now with wider bars (685mm), because that's how i usually prefer things...but for this bike i might be better off with a longer stem. I'll pick up a longer stem and give that a try.

Edit: picked up a 110mm stem and i'll give that a go. Thanks for the help!
    Blur LT & Highball

It's about showing up.
    Before buying a new bike or deciding that you suck at Mtb, are you sliding forward all the way onto the nose of the saddle? If not then maybe you do suck but can learn your way out of it.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ah sorry, i should have mentioned that. I have a WTB "Pure V" saddle with a longer nose. I do ride out on the nose for the really steep stuff.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Shorten the stem, wait no lengthen it! Ah you see the thing here is that the size of the stem does not really matter as long as you, the rider yourself is comfortable with it that is the most important thing. Now I can see your predicement here, but I believe that your problem might actualy give you an advantage if you use it correctly. Right now it may seem frusterating but beacuse you are in the posession of a hardtail the weight ratio of your bike will actualy be of great help. On most hard tail bikes I find that it is difficult to pull up the front tire on an acent beacuse it requires too much energy, but if you learn to master the bikes unstable balence you will find it much easier I believe to overcome obsticles both physicaly as in rocks and mentaly beacuse of the extra effort and general awarness of your surroundings. Best of luck and happy riding!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks again for all the input guys.

I picked up a 110mm stem (stock was 100mm, i currently had a 90mm) and put it on over the weekend. Since i have a longer stem i scooted the seat forward about 10mm. I did a longer but less technical ride with it and so far it seems like it made a big difference. The relatively small difference in position made a big difference in where the weight is placed on the bike, and it really helped out my balance. I haven't been on a real (steep) technical section yet but i think this has solved most of the problems i've been having. Much appreciated! (And i still have no idea why i didn't think of this myself!)
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Is the front fork locked out? If so, try riding the climbs with it open.