Thread: Comparison...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Comparison...

So I recently got back into mountain biking, thanks to a friend giving me his old no suspension 2000 ish cannondale m400. After a few weeks I remembered how much I loved it. I rode a lot in high school, on my gary fisher joshua xo but when i got to college my bike was vandalized and destroyed. I haven't had the money to buy again until now. So, have about $2500 or so to spend, and I am looking for full suspension 26er. The main question I am looking for feedback on is people's experiences with 2012 Giant Trance X1/X2 and 2012 Trek Fuel EX-8. Anyone who has rode either of the two, or both, would help. I have read reviews on both from many sites. A side debate, and not necessarily needing to be answered in this thread, is the 26 vs. 29er question, the XC or all mountain question, and the other bike options in that price range. If you can provide experience and info on the main question that would be great, and I of course welcome feedback on any of the secondary questions as well. I am so eager to get back out there, and soon. I should probably mention that I live in Mass, Cape Ann, and my goal is to do a solid mix of singletrack and more technical trails. I won't likely be doing much downhill or drops, so I'm looking for the best bike to handle singletrack trails and the many New England trails that are bumpy, rooty, rocky, and uneven. Ok this is my first real post on here so thank you everyone for helping out...

T.W.O.
    Both are good bikes, you won't be disappointed with either choices. Both have pretty fancy suspension design, Giant got the Maestro, and Trek uses the modified SinglePivot with concentric drop out, ABP. Trek would feel plusher on the descend and both bike would climb like a goat. I'd prefer the set it and forget it Maestro design, but that's about it.

Try both out see how you like the fit. Best is to find out if when they offer the demo on each brand so you can see how they perform on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Like Mimi says, test ride as many bikes as you can. Things have changed so much it's like trying to explain technology advances to someone who's been in a coma for the last 15 years. You'll need to ride them for yourself. I'd try to get a ride on a specialized FSR too. That'll give you a good comp on the single pivot, mini link and 4 bar suspension designs.

I'll also throw in the ibis mojo special blend from Jenson USA. You can't demo that one though. Have fun shopping.

T.W.O.
    Holy crap, mojo definitely a great deal

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yup, test test test the bikes. Ride for at least 15 minutes or so if they let you. That way any problems with fitment will show up (i.e. back aches, arm pain/numbness...blah blah)

-S