mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Comparing a Rincon and Hardrock

Hi, new guy here. I've narrowed my choice down to two bikes. Just wanted some input from people who know what they're talking about. Here's the bikes:

'10 Giant Rincon - $450 on closeout
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ck/3873/36247/

'11 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc - $600
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

Maybe it's because I'm new, but the main difference I see here is the brakes and fork. The Rincon comes with Tektro IO vs the Hardorck's BB5s, and the Hardrock has an 80mm fork with lockout while the Rincon has a 100mm fork, no lockout. Also, I like the Rincon color better (vs the Hardrock's black and white color, not pictured on the website)

I was already planning on upgrading the brakes, drivetrain, and fork on the Hardrock down the road, so I'm wondering if the Rincon would be a better choice for the $150 in savings?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Rincon? I notice there's a lot of love for the Hardrock but not so much info on the Rincon. I'm a bit apprehensive about buying something that doesn't have as many "OMG I BOUGHT THIS BIKE IT'S AMAZING FOR THE PRICE" threads, but it's probably fine.

Thanks,
    Matt

mtbr member
    both of those bikes are pretty much meant to compete with eachother. Get the one that fits the best/feels best.

Also, look around a bit more, I've seen several shops with leftover 2009 Giant XTC hardtails. in that price range. That's a nicer frame and would be a better platform to upgrade. Likewise, see if you can also squeeze a leftover rockhopper. They have frames made from Specialized's M4 alloy. Again, its a nicer class of frame.