mtbr member

Clip less and Boots

I ride with LOOK clip less now for exercise. However, I am looking for some pedals that will be clip less and allow me to ride with hunting boots (no cleats) for when I take the bike hunting.

Suggestions?

AZ
    banned
    Why not just use flat pedals if your not clipping in?
    Last edited by AZ; 12-09-2011 at 09:19 AM.

~Disc~Golf~
    AZ - how are you so brilliant?!

Seriously, it probably takes longer to lace up boots than it does to swap pedals
    Honestly... ahh I give up

don't be a poacher!

What about the single-sided type?

I used the single-sided spd type for awhile. I liked being able to clip in on one side when I was wearing clipless shoes, and the flat side for when I was wearing my 5.10 Impacts.

Changing pedals doesn't take long of course, but I prefer not to have to change pedals often. In addition to a mountain bike (HT 29er) and a hybrid bike, I have 4 unicycles that I occasionally like to clip in on. Especially the 36er road unicycle with the hydraulic disc brake.

That said, I'm really loving mixing it up again by riding off-road on a mountain bike again. It is obviously a much faster experience on the bike, but I can do 20mph on my 36er going down the road. It's a single speed, but I plan on getting a Schlumpf hub next year so that I can hit 30mph on it.

Good luck with your pedal choice...

Clip less and Boots-gt-29er-26er-36er.jpg

My GT Karakoram 2.0 29er (with Shimano SPD PD-M770's), 26er (with 26x3.0 Duro Wildlife Leopard tire, old-school Magura rim brake, Kris Holm dual 137/165 Moment cranks, etc), 36er (with Sinz cranks & custom cnc machined 5 hole disc brake rotor & Avid Juicy 5 brake, handlebar-drops-computer-etc.) The 36er is my charity vehicle, getting ready to do another 100 mile ride in a day on it to raise money for paralysis victims. My last 100 miler was for my paralyzed brother Gary.

Peace
    Last edited by TheRhino; 12-09-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add a description

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Why not just use flat pedals if your not clipping in?
    Best answer What are you hunting?

mtbr member
    I like to clip in when riding for exercise, but my hunting boots can't have cleats. I could switch pedals each time.... but wondering if there is another solution.

We are hunting deer. Since our federal gov has gated off most access roads, you can only walk or ride the X-Miles into where to hunt.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
    I like to clip in when riding for exercise, but my hunting boots can't have cleats. I could switch pedals each time.... but wondering if there is another solution.

We are hunting deer. Since our federal gov has gated off most access roads, you can only walk or ride the X-Miles into where to hunt.
    The easiest solution would be what AZMTN suggested.

Of course, you can get single-sided platform/clipless or platform clipless but then it would not be practical for your exercise ride. Most if not all Single-sided clipless pedals have balance issue which can be annoying.

mtbr member
    Mimi,
    what is the balance issue with clipless platform?

was looking at one Shimano and the Wellgo WAM-D10 Pedals, both spd. Seems this would work well.??

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
    what is the balance issue with clipless platform?
    whatever pedal surface you are looking to use is usually the other side down (so you have to kick it back around) and that surface is sub-par to most dedicated flats

Honestly - just change pedals - It has got to be one of the (if not, THE) easiest component changes you can make.
    I do it all the time.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    whatever pedal surface you are looking to use is usually the other side down (so you have to kick it back around) and that surface is sub-par to most dedicated flats

Honestly - just change pedals - It has got to be one of the (if not, THE) easiest component changes you can make.
    I do it all the time.
    ^^^What he said It's just as quick and easy I use hex/or pedal wrench to take off and just hand tightened.

mtbr member
    Shimano M647, M545, or M424

Time X-Roc Atac

there may be a few more but those all have what appears to be "usable" cages around the clipless parts

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If it's getting really cold in winter, I combine light trekking boots (waterproof, with GoreTex built in) with some aggressively studded platform pedals. I've been using Woodman's Spiky Pro for years now, but I guess any aggressive flat pedal should do the job.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    Shimano M647, M545, or M424

Time X-Roc Atac

there may be a few more but those all have what appears to be "usable" cages around the clipless parts
    I've used the above peddles with boots & they work fine. They ARE heavier then the average clip less though.